Crazy modem sounds

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Murray Gordon, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murray Gordon

Murray Gordon Registered Member

Hey,

I've got a bit of an unexpexted and annoying problem! I recently updated to XP and have pretty much everything working fine. The only problem is when I go online - the modem dials up as per usual, but when it connects, I get this terrible static sound from the line! Has anyone had this problem before? Unfortunately turning off the modem speaker in the modem properties hasn't helped - it actually made the dial up tones louder than before!

I think there might be something wrong with my audio drivers or something?? The modem never made this sound before. Its a conexant modem. I've updated the driver as well, and made sure that XP wouldn't just use the old default ones by removing them from the setup file. So I have no idea as to what I should do next. Any ideas??

Murray

PS

I found this on a web tutorial thing, does anyone know how to change these commands?

Explanation: The modem's speaker is not behaving the way you would like it to. It is either staying on too long (after a connection) or its volume is incorrect.

Diagnosis: These problems are routinely caused by issuing the wrong AT commands to the modem. This may be occurring as part of the initialization string that many software packages store for each modem they support.

Recommendation:

Change the initialization string or command so that the correct settings for the speaker are chosen. The affected commands are "ATM" and "ATL". To set the "normal" values that most people use, issue the command "ATM1L1", which sets the speaker to low volume, and turns it off when a connection is established. **** How would I go about doing thiso_O?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

What is the make and model of the modem? Is it internal, or external?

Close Hauled

3. Murray Gordon

Murray Gordon Registered Member

Its a conexant SoftV92 Data Fax modem, internal.

I changed the intitialization commands in the prompt in modem properties, as was recommended, but this didn't manage to cut the static. It did alter the dial tones volume however.

4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Have you gone to this site yet...

Conexent Windows XP Driver Information

It has some FAQs and WHQL driver update. Make sure that you are useing WHQL drivers with modems. To confirm this, run DxDiag.exe.

Also, besides the noise, are there performance problems?

Close Hauled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.