Crawler Toolbar

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Kas, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

OK, I can hear it now - "not another toolbar". If we had every toolbar available we would need a series of computers to load them up.

But, I have had this Crawler toolbar for months - it is complimentary to Spyware Terminator - an anti-virus and anti-malware program which is really superb. ST has detected several virus`s and a number of infections not picked up by the other programs. I would not be without it.

I also have Spybot, Spywareblaster, Comodo IS, AVG, Malwarebytes and a few other programs which do me proud. A few of these programs are "on-line" they have "real time" protection. This combination and my discretion in using these systems has kept my PC clean.

The Crawler Toolbar has a number of useful features by choice, but the reason for this note is to emphasis the WEB SECURITY GUARD feature.

This is a system of website ratings, rather like a traffic light - RED for stop, AMBER for unsure and GREEN for go. AVG have the same system.

So when surfing, both these systems warn if a website is suspicious or dangerous. CT has saved me on many occasions from entering a bad website. I would not be without it. If a website is dicey, the screen goes grey and a panel comes up asking if you want to proceed or not.

At times it picks up a website that is downloading crap onto your PC. It stops it by greying out the screen and asking if you want to block the crap. You can block it and still visit the website or choose not to go there.

I find this security barrier a great comfort. In fact I do not see the point in being without it.

Have the Forum members any comments to make on this kind of web protection offered by CT and AVG ?
    KAS

2. Donenzone

Donenzone Registered Member

I really dislike Crawler Toolbar that comes with Web Security Guard. It messes up IE and Fx with all kinds of stuff I don't need. SiteAdvisor is better IMO.

3. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I would personally go with bigger players in the field, such as SiteAdvisor and MyWOT when it comes to web ratings. Then again, as contributor to both, I might be slightly biased :)

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't like any kind of toolbars as they are waste of space.
    I've even removed all search fields from Firefox (everything i search is entered in URL field) and trimmed the entire interface to a very minimum.
    One extra icon is tolerable, whole new toolbar is not.

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I don't use toolbars.
    WOT is a good site advisor for FireFox.

6. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

:thumb:

7. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

i had made a thread about why people arent so keen on using spyware terminator because i think its a great product and people thought that the toolbar was the most off putting but it is an optional download, i have it disabled in firefox because i think mcafee site advisor and WOT are better.

8. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

actually as i have just tested, u can right click top of firefox and dont show crawler but you still get the website barring, try googling free screensavers and test it

9. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Thank you everybody for your kind replies to this rather minor issue.

In all the 4-5 years I have been associated with the Internet, I have never heard a good word from REAL users on toolbars. In fact you could put all the different toolbar praises on a postage stamp and still have room to spare.

I do use the Google toolbar plus iGoogle Homepage and will keep them, we have a good relationship. Classic Google loads faster, but I like the gadgets on iGoogle.

Have taken your sound advice and dumped the Crawler toolbar with it`s Web Security Guard and installed the McAfee SiteAdvisor. I do find some expert guidance on sites a great help. As I said, I already have AVG.

KAS

Update - 19 April 09
    Since I did the above, my IE7 has not given a "not responding" requiring me to end the attempt via Task Manager and to try again - as it has been doing for weeks now. This first-try failure has been aggravating me to desperation.
    Also IE is loading much quicker. The McAfee SiteAdvisor works perfect.
    I am very pleased and thank those who responded to my thread for their advice.
    KAS

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.