Crashing win 2003 server

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by djzapp, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djzapp

djzapp Guest

Have any one tried installing Port Explorer on a win 2003 enterprise server??
    I did and it crashed my server for good. All services/programs using any kind of port would not start up after a reboot. Even when I removed Port explorer there were still problems with DNS, DHCP, Proxy and firewall.
    I know for shure it was Port Explorer's fault because I reinstalled the server and did it again twice. :(

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello, djzapp, Port Explorer is not Windows 2003 Server compatible - Sorry :'(

3. djzapp

djzapp Guest

I thourgh so.. But I just wrote it so other people don't do the same mistake as I. ;)

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I'm very sorry this happened to you.
    It's on the first page and the download page which windows versions are compatible.
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/index.php?page=download
    Trying on other versions can be a risk, but it's first time i read about sush a destruction, in other occasions it just didn't run as expected.
    But they're working on it for a next release, so check back once in a while.
    Could the OpenPorts commandline version help you better for the moment?

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

We are still awaiting a response from Microsoft on what they have changed in 2003 before we can fix any issue. Sorry.

-Jason-

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Ok 2003 has been fixed and will work with Port Explorer now, just await v1.800 :)

-Jason-

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Jason, Are there major dfferences between XP & 2003 apart from the fact that 2003 has everything turned off by default and, of course, 2003's added server capabilities?

8. Jason_DiamondCS

There isn't many MAJOR differences really. It does include .NET (DOT NET) by default, which a lot of people say makes their computers slower. The problem PE had was Microsoft changed its versioning information from Release Candidate 1 (Originally Windows DOT NET) which is what we tested Port Explorer on originally. So the DLL was thinking it was being installed onto a Windows 95 machine instead of an NT classed machine. Was much easier to fix than I thought.

There aren't many reasons to upgrade from XP for a while. Even Longhorn doesn't have much to offer over Windows XP. There was a reason to upgrade from Windows 98 (Microsoft's largest OS at the time), and that was stability mostly, with a few hardware updates added in. Windows 2003 is probably just as secure as XP in the real world (as can be seen by recent worm attacks ;) ).

-Jason-

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Jason, Thanks for the info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.