Crashes with version 4.2.67.10

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Wallaby, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

If any customers in the Netherlands have this issue and are willing to help provide the needed logs / dumps please PM me directly.

2. Zike

Zike Registered Member

Same problem here XP SP3 (3 computers) starting to freeze while surfing with IE8 since a week with 3.0.695.

Disabling "HTTP checking" seems to have solved the problem so far...

3. Wallaby

Wallaby Registered Member

Thanks guys.
    Anyway I wouldn't like to become a testing platform with a troubleshooting configuration... you know... this is my PC and I love it ;)

The fundamental problem is that this same configuration worked perfectly until 30 december, so the devs should focus their attention on the changes made in the updates the day before that day (not pre-release that I can't download)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  4. thijs031

thijs031 Registered Member

What kind of logs/dumps do you need?
    (can`t PM you)

5. extratime

extratime Registered Member

I am also having the same problem. Been happening for the last 3 days. Usually when it crashes my wireless internet connection dies, all the programs become unresponsive and control+alt+del doesn't let me access the Task Manager. I initially thought the problem was the browser and I reinstalled Firefox and Opera.

Today this happened and I was finally able to access the Task Manager. Like everybody else it was the ESET NOD32 kernel causing the problem with CPU usage of 50%.

I managed to create a ekrn.DMP file before re-starting my laptop. My set up is Windows 7 32-bit and I am using NOD32 AV 4.2.67.10.

I will submit the ekrn.DMP file for analysis via NOD32 but if there is some other way to submit it please let me know.

EDIT: NOD32 says the ekrn.DMP file is too large to submit. Yeah I see why now - it is 171 MB!

6. Wallaby

Same behaviour as me.

Better if you upload it on Megaupload

and then send via PM the download link to Marcos

Anyway let's wait for his suggestions

7. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Registered Member

Looks like 5757 just got pushed. I'm not sure I'm in the mood to test whether it's fixed or not, however. :)

8. Wallaby

No. I have updated to 5757

I have just had a slow down,
    the system was almost hanging,
    I right clicked on EAV4 the tray icon,
    selected "disable real time...",
    selected "disable web access protection",
    pressed CTRL+ALT+C again and again and again
    (anyway those "disable" weren't accepted by EAV4 because they are still enabled)

At that point, finally, the Task manager appeared with CPU "15% svchost" and "10% System."
    Gradually it returned to 99% idle

I saved (so far) and no crash this time

9. NodyNewbie

NodyNewbie Registered Member

can anyone confirm that 5757 solves the issue?

10. c2d

c2d Registered Member

No it's not fixed...Happened to me again 5 mins ago.

11. ittech

ittech Registered Member

I think we've been seeing the same issue on some Exchange servers with 4.2.10020.0, which I'm assuming has the same realtime components as 4.2.67.10?

SBS Server 2008 & SBS Server 2003 boxes with that version have been randomly locking up where remote sessions are not possible, console logons hang and are not responsive... It's not a complete hardware lock, the server still pings, SMTP still responds and so on, but the thing is FUBAR...

We've had to have clients hard power off a few of these servers in the past 7 days, a few times.

There's no crash dump or clue as to what is happening in the event logs...

I'm leaving a server that this just happened yesterday logged in with task manager open and the eset realtime status page open and disabled screensaver/locking to see if we get some clue if it happens again on that box.

We've never had issues with 2.7 like we are having with 3.x and 4.x, wondering if we're just going to have to switch to forefront or something more stable over the long run...

12. NodyNewbie

NodyNewbie Registered Member

This will not look good for ESET to gain a renewal in 2011. I switch because of my old AV ran slow and took tons of resources. 2X in the past 6 months is crazy

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well, for the record I have not seen any issues connected to this what so ever, meaning that it doesn't affect every single ESET user. So I am still happy:)

14. ittech

ittech Registered Member

Yes, we are running 4.2 on 500 machines and 35 servers, and have seen issues on 3 servers and ~10 machines?

seems to be mainly on power users like cad stations... heavy load/backups/something seems to be triggering the issue, maybe certain large files?

Either way, it's frustrating to us and our clients to experience these types of issues. If it was happening everywhere at least that would mean it's easier to find and fix.

15. hodgenpodg

hodgenpodg Registered Member

Has anyone found a fix for this issue?

I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 with all updates running Terminal Services and it just keeps hanging at which point I have to shut it down.

16. ittech

ittech Registered Member

make that 4 servers, just had to hard reset one machine twice in the last 2 hours...

17. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could somebody confirm that they've had anti-stealth disabled and a crash occurred though? It seems we're on a good way to finding the cause of these issues but need to confirm some facts.

18. ittech

ittech Registered Member

should I be turning off anti-stealth on all the systems this is happening on?

19. Marcos

Yes please. If possible, restart the computer(s) as well.

20. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

On my Win XP test machine it was fine with AS ENABLED, but ekrn crashed with AS DISABLED. This machine was checked bij Juraj Z. though so you should already have my info on this.

To add to this Marcos, I was at a client today where I disabled self-defense and AS to generate dumps, and the software still crashed when he started GFI. Could this be HTTP related? Perhaps apply this fix:http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2567 ? GFI was his application to check if all his websites were up, so..

21. Wallaby

I have always Antistealth ENABLED when I had crashes.
    I have never disabled Antistealth.

Since you sent me your PM, I have disabled Self Defense, enabled heap checking (by the reg file you linked), launched Procdump and so far in 5 hours I had no crash.

Now it is time to go to sleep.
    Tomorrow morning (my time, GMT+1) I will see if the PC is still on.

Thanks guys ;)

22. Marcos

I hadn't experienced a crash on my home Win7 until I enabled AS today. It seems I'm able to reproduce it when a startup scan is running and browsing the web at the same time. Maybe you could confirm or deny that a crash occurs under these circumstances?

23. ittech

ittech Registered Member

I can say for certain that the servers we had crash were just exchange/sbs servers that no one is using as a desktop or was remotely logged in at the time.

I will uncheck the self defense and antistealth options on a few machines that this happened on and restart them tonight when no one is using them, hopefully won't have any issues tomorrow...

edit: startup scans do happen after each update by default though, so it could be something related to them.

24. musicworm

musicworm Registered Member

Yes. Same here. My OS is Windows 7.

Some recent updates are incompatible with Opera.
    Now I've excluded opera.exe in the protocol and waiting to see the result.:shifty:

25. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Registered Member

It might not even necessarily have to be triggered by browsing. ANY network traffic might be triggering it. I have AS enabled and I have scanning after update disabled as it was killing my compile times. In any case, for sure I saw this issue happen right after booting up and trying to browse while it was probably still scanning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.