Crash after crash Trueimage or the PC?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Redoxide, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redoxide

Redoxide Registered Member

Hi,

Recently purchased & installed version 10, never used TrueImage before.

After installing and re-booting the screen was blank except for the XP background picture. It stayed this way until I pressed Ctrl Alt Del and from the task manager clicked on the users tab and double clicked my account. Icons etc. then loaded.

OK so I fortunately got back into XP.
    However I have had numerous system crashes since, usually after trying to wake up the PC from hibernate mode.
    Also sometimes the PC goes on a go slow and can take several minutes to do something. i.e. after booting after a crash I clicked start and moved over programmes. All I got was a white area where the programmes listing should be, it took about 4 minutes before this cleared. Shutting down can also take about 5 minutes.

I did think maybe it might be a memory problem... I suspect Trueimage uses some area of memory at the top end somewhere. I did have some problems with crashes after setting up the PC about 6 months ago but it settled down and has been OK since. I think I altered a setting in Internet Explorer which cured that problem.

I haven't bothered to run TrueImage yet to do a backup as it seems pointless on an unstable system.
    All in all I am not too pleased so far and may have to uninstall unless someone has any bright ideas?

I should add that I am using the programme on an Acer laptop 9504WSMi

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

"and may have to uninstall"

That would have been my first move; just to see if the problem goes away.

3. mathematician

mathematician Registered Member

My experience hasn't been as bad as yours, but I think True Image 10 has been released with far too many bugs still in place.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I wonder if you are up to date with what many regard a regular routine maintenace of your computer. I will not attempt to list them all but here are some which should help.
    Empty recycle bin.
    Delete Temp internet files.
    Run %temp% and delete files found.
    Run disk cleanup, including deleting all but the last restore point.
    Run CHKDSK R on your drives.
    Run defragmentation.

In other words maybe installing TI is just the final straw in an over loaded system. Worth a try anyway.

Xpilot

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Noooooooooooooooooo .... really! :D :D
    There are a few success stories posted. There might be some other items that come into play - like general computer cleanup of temp files, cookies, unused registry entries, spyware etc., loads of things running in the Tray that do not play nice with TI.

6. Redoxide

I read these comments with interest.
    I am as confident as one can be that no spyware exists on my laptop. I regularly run Adaware and another anti-spyware programme plus using zone alarm & AVG on a secured wireless network.
    However if having a few temp files is enough to cause TI to make a system become unstable then it doesn't deserve to be installed.
    Since un-installing my system has fortunately returned to normal.
    I don't have loads of rubbish software installed, just the stuff I need for my work and a few other programmes that come from reliable sources. Mind you my work software does include some large applications. My icon tray has icons for Zone alarm, AVG, Roxio drag to disk but not much else apart for the stuff that exists normally.
    I have applications on drive C & data including Email files on drive D so the system should not get too defragmented.
    I am currently waiting to see what support has to say on the matter.
    I guess it could just be that HD space is limited, last time I looked there was about 3gb free however I thought windows warned if system resources were low? maybe not.

All your commets and suggestions are greatly appreciated

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

You have not given much detail about your system so it is difficult to judge but 3GB head room on a main drive sounds a bit tight to me.
    Removing all but the latest restore point can free a fair bit of space if you have not already turned System Restore off or have limited it's extent.
    Your posts suggest that you have not run disk cleanup or a defrag recently. Why not do that now and run the defrag in safe mode as it will go faster and be more effective.
    There may be a problem with your RAM. Does the total RAM shown in computer properties equal the amount that is installed or has some gone AWOL ?
    It is of some concern that you have reported some previous system instabilities which have recently gone away with no definite diagnosis. Have you looked through Windows event viewer for any warnings or errors that may still be current?
    Have you run an overnight MEM test to establish that your RAM passes with flying colours?

Xpilot

Xpilot

8. Redoxide

I have now cleaned up drive C removed some applications and now have 4.5gb free HD space. Re-installed TI and touch wood the system is working at the moment. Now maybe I can create a backup...
    Thanks for the assistance but I am somewhat worried that TI is so fussy.

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Redoxide,

I noticed that you have Drag-to-Disk running. If you ever meet problems with writing to DVDs from TI (and I'm not saying you will!) the first remedy to try should be to disable Drag-to-Disk.

10. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

You are right to say that it is fussy (or picky as we say on this side of the great big pond) especially when it comes to wireless devices, and many usb things including hubs. At least previous versions were. I don't know if Version 10 solved a few of these or added more things to be picky at. :doubt:

11. Redoxide

After more problems TI has been removed again and won't be returning. Anyone want to buy it?

I was again experiencing problems whereby the laptop went on an extreme go slow, not responding for several minutes. I also had a busy cursor when moving over the task bar. I could get into task manager no problem, there did not appear to be any significant processes running and this was my only option to re-start the computer as the start button was not responding. When it shut down Explore.exe was not responding and was shut down. I dare say this could have been the problem but I suspect TI was the cause.
    For some reason this did not occur yesterday but it's not worth the hassle of finding the solution today.

If TI doesn't like wireless network, drag to disk or network drives then it might as well not be installed. I will find another backup programme that works with my system. Just annoyed I wasted my money.

Good luck to those of you persevering with TI, hopefully it works for you.

12. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Good hunting Redoxide.

Just keep in mind that backup softare and imaging software are far from being the same thing.

13. Redoxide

Yes, that's true. I currently use HyperOS on my desktop computer and keep sector copies of my OS on my second hard drive. Data which is on another partition is backed up daily to an external HD, The secret with HyperOS is to use an OS on drive E say as the working OS. However if the HD goes down on you then getting a new HD working as you want it probably takes longer than it would with Acronis software.
    This makes interesting reading.
    http://www.hyperosforum.co.uk/hosf/viewtopic.php?t=1337
    Actually with hard disks being so cheap these days maybe one ought to buy a spare and just clone them ever now and again. Some HD manufacturers even have free cloning software (for their disks). If all data is kept elsewhere then unless programmes are removed/added frequently it shouldn't be necessary to clone the disk very often.
    However with a laptop space is at a premium and cloning is not an easy option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.