CPU usage with Win8

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Catcher07, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catcher07

Catcher07 Registered Member

Hello
    I am new to the forum and not an computer expert.
    Recently I have noted that ESET NOD32 V6 is using some 86% of CPU and that the cooling fan is working hard. My computer is Toshiba Satellite (new, Intel Core i7) with Windows 8. In the Task Manager window, Processes tab, it says that this CPU load comes from "ESET Service (32bit)".
    I have the feel that the above CPU load is not normal, or is it? If not, what is the remedy?

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hello and welcome to Wilders :)

Is the CPU usage this high all the time even when idle?

Or is this while a scan is running?

3. Catcher07

Thanks for the response.
    The virus scan is not running and nothing else except the ususal processes after normal start-up of the computer. I wanted to attach a screenshot of the task manager but MS Word files cannot be posted.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you observe the high cpu usage immediately after Windows starts up or when performing specific operations or running certain applications? Does disabling real-time protection make a difference?

5. Catcher07

Indeed, the high CPU usage is right after start-up, no other applications are running. I have tried your suggestion and disabled real-time protection but CPU usage remained same (high).

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

it is doing a startup scan and this is normal unless you disable it.

Are you a user that normally leaves your machine on - or turns it off daily?

(these days, you should really leave them on).

7. Catcher07

Actually I do switch the machine off daily, however previously I was under the impression that the start-up scan does not take more than 2-3 minutes. Now, this NOD32 CPU usage never seems to go down.

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Why should I leave them on?

9. Marcos

Because it's another layer of protection which can detect new malware in memory. Alternatively you can run memory scans on a regular basis but in the case of infection with ransomware that locks the screen you'd need to clean it manually either from safe mode with command prompt or after booting the system from a clean medium.

Please create a dump of ekrn by right-clicking it in the Task manager and selecting Create dump file. When done, upload it to a safe location and PM me the download link.
    Also I'd like to bring into your attention our new forum https://forum.eset.com where you can post about issues or give us feedback. We'll be closing this forum at Wilders' soon and it will exist as read-only then.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  10. Catcher07

Thank you for the advice, I will follow your suggestion and try to upload the dump file. On another note do you think that uninstalling and then re-installing NOD32 would be an option?

11. Marcos

Hard to say but likely it wouldn't make any difference. We'll know more after receiving the dump.

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I always turn my PC/s Off at night(and/or at other times), no need to keep them On 24/7 :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.