CPU/Processor AMD. Need some info.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tepe2, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I'm looking for a new CPU. This is my hardware setup:

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 (rev1.0)
    Socket 939
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    Nvidia Ge-Force 6600 GT
    4X512 MB DDR400 (Veritech)

I want dual core. Want to start with some video-editing and I have some applications running in the back, AV and other security applications. And maybe more in the future. Just want the best I can get for s939 as prices are very low now.

As I understand this is the best you can get for s939:

Athlon 64 FX-60 2,6 GHz
    Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2,4 GHz
    Opteron 185 2,6 GHz

The problem is the two first listed is not for sale in my country any longer, and Opteron 185 and 180 is not tested with my motherboard, see list here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...herboard&ProductID=1860&ProductName=GA-K8NF-9

Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 4600+ and 4400+ - not for sale any longer, I think. Have not found.

So what is left? I tell you. The following two is the best I can find:

Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Opteron 170

Same price. What to choose? Is it worht it? Will there be any big difference?

If you look at my hardware setup, specially my RAM, will I get use of a new CPU? I dont want to change CPU if my RAM is not fast enough to see any difference.

Hope someone with knowledge can help :)

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello tepe,
    how much are the processers that you have found?
    if you say the prices i might will be easier to find out if you would get a better deal getting a newer mobo with socket am2 or even getting an intel core duo 2.
    is your graphics card agp or pci express?
    lodore

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

If you do multitask going to dual-core would provide improvement (or so Ive read).

As for the two processors, the Athlon is 200Mhz faster whereas the Opteron has double the L2 cache. I think the Mhz would make a greater difference.

Also have you considered ebay as a means of getting a new processor? perhaps there you could find a Athlon 64 X2 4800+.

4. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks
    Must be pci express since I dont know what you mean by agp :)

Price 900 nok (Norwegian valuta), that is.......maybe 115 EUR. In Norway that is a very good price.

To change mobo scares me a bit. Never done it before. I have put in more RAM and an extra hdd, thats it. But that was easy. What are the downsides when changing mobo?

WSFuser, thanks. Did not think of ebay. Never been there until now. I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Athlon-64-X...ryZ80139QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ebay, how does it work? Are the products new, or has been used? Also I have to check how to pay, and how much to bring it to Norway, tax/shipping.

5. WSFuser

The downside to changing your mobo is you may have to reinstall Windows. Its generally best to do so anyways just to avoid conflict.

As for ebay you can either bid on the item or (sometimes) buy it right away. The items can be used or new. And for paying, paypal is generally used though the seller may offer other methods and/or have a preferred method.

6. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I have images of my OS-partition created with BING, so re-install of Windows should not be a problem. But what about my applications (not the free ones), I must buy new lisence/product key? New mobo is "the same as new computer" ?

When time enough I investigate more on ebay, and try to find out how much to pay in Norway for socket AM2 or Intel.

I come back later to see if more replies :)

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the problem with going from a single core to a dual core is that if you restore an image then windows wont boot up due to hal mismatch.
    so you will have to do a fresh install of windows.
    you wont need to get new license codes for your product eiether way.
    since they are normaly for one pc and your reinstalling windows you will only have it on one pc.
    lodore

8. WSFuser

No I mean a fresh install, a image would still have old drivers. Some sites say that you can do a "repair" rather than foramt and do a fresh install, but I would opt for the latter.

Also, your applications should be fine.

9. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Yes I realised a few seconds after posting :D Stupid me :D

Nice to know :)

10. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I have found one Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and one Athlon 64 X2 4600+. Both are used. Dont know the price.

Would these add a lot to my setup? Compared to what I already have. And would X2 4200+ and Opteron 170 add a lot to my setup?

Would 4400+/4600+ be much better than 4200+/Opt170?

And finally, how much better is 4800+?

I guess this is all I need to know, so I wait for more opinions :)

4200+ 2200MHz 1024KiB
    4400+ 2200MHz 2048KiB
    4600+ 2400MHz 1024KiB
    4800+ 2400MHz 2048KiB
    Op170 2000MHz 2048KiB

(How about 4400+ and make it run on 2400MHz. That would be the same as 4800+. If it can be done easily)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  11. WSFuser

The 4400 and 4800 have more cache but its not very noticeable unless you run benchmarks.

And if you daring/willing, you can just get a 4200 and overclock it so its runs at 4800 speeds (2.4Ghz) or faster.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

13. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you for the link Lodore :)

Can this be done easily by a novice (more or less) like me? If I dont want extreme overclock, can I overclock from 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz only changing some settings in BIOS? And do I have to overclock other components (RAM) to get full use of it?

Never done this before, but heard of it of course.

I guess I should download application to watch the CPU temperature if I overclock. Do you guys know such an application which is known to be reliable?

14. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Just one thought, more of a question as much as a thought. I'm sure I read somewhere, or was told by someone, that when an OEM version of windows is installed it identifies itself with the motherboard, and thus cannot be used with another computer, the upshot being that if you change the motherboard you have to get in touch with microsoft, which is what makes OEM cheaper than retail. Is this fact or fiction?

15. WSFuser

Theres plenty of overclocking guides available. Just read it carefully and take baby steps when overclocking.

Also remember to test your PC for stability. I use Memtest86+, OCCT, and Prime95.
    I always change settings from teh BIOS.
    When you overclock your CPU, you will do so by overclocking the RAM.

16. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

I heard the 3800x2 will clock well. A small improvement, but if you OC, it will be a cheap and dirty shortcut. Or, convert it to HTPC and build a 775 system.

17. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks to all of you :)

I have decided to go for new X2 4200+ (and maybe overclock) or used X2 4400/4600/4800+. No change of mobo for now.

I'll have a closer look at the 3 applications mentioned by WSFuser (Thanks):)

In my country right now the X2 4200+ is less expensive than X2 3800+.

So now I go searching for a guide to overclock.

18. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

A good choice IMO. My current tower is built around that processor. Not the fastest by any means but rock solid. I run Win XP 64 bit with 4 gigs of ram. multi-tasking is a snap.

As far as over clocking, there is a neat little tool called CrystalCPUID that allows you to OC from with in Windows. Two suggestions. 1)OC`ing increases heat. You may want to look into an after market heat sink and fan. 2)Take it one step at a time. Make little jumps in your settings changes. Take notes of the changes you make. After each change use you PC for a while to make sure it behaves right. Keep an eye on those temperatures. Heat is a major killer of PC components. The tools suggested by WSFuser will be a good addition as well. They can serve other purposes then helping you reach a stable OC.

19. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you so much ThunderZ :)

One final question: A guy suggested (in a Norwegian forum) that my graphic card is maybe to slow, specially if I change to a better CPU.

Do I really have to change graphic card to get full use of an overclocked X2 4200+ ? If so, why?

I have NVidia GeForce 6600 GT.

20. WSFuser

I think your video card is fine. Do you play games and do they run well?

21. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

If you play heavy games like Oblivion, your card will be the bottleneck. If this comp is for moderate usage, save your money for a better system. Buy a DX10 card if you're gonna buy one.

22. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I'm not a gamer. I was many years ago (Commodore 64) :D

So nice to be a member of Wilders SF. I always learn something :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.