couple questions regarding real time scanning.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by chrcol, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

Hi guys and girls.

So here 2 questions I got.

1 - In the help page for nod32 I quote this.

Sounds cool, I wanted to make sure the option is enabled but it is missing. I am using the latest build of nod32 4.0.467. So is this a planned feature that got cut for release?

2 - There is some confusion on my part in regards to real time scanning options. If I click real-time time file system protection and then options, I can configure various options such as the extensions scanned and advanced heuristics. But then if I click advanced setup the advanced heuristics etc. can be set again seperatly for modify/create and execute, so does this mean the options under real-time file system protection only apply to open files and not execute/create? In addition I set to the default extensions only but when I watch the nod32 status window I see it continously scanning my log files so its as if it ignores the setting. So I need this clarifying as well please.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Scan optimization is enabled in v4 by default. In v3 and v2, there was a checkbox allowing the user to enable or disable it.

Advanced heuristics is enabled only for newly created and modified files and on execution of files from removable media by default. In advanced setup you can enable AH on execution for all files that are run. Enabling AH in the ThreatSense setup will enable it for all events: File open, File creation, File execution. Basically this setting takes precedence over the two others as it enables AH on every event.

The Statistics window shows all files that flow through the ESET kernel so excluded files are shown here as well.

3. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

ok thanks for clarifying this for me.

I suggest to eset to add what you explained to me in the help file in the next version.

Whats the reason for the removal of the ability to toggle scan optimization in v4?

4. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

I don't think it was removed, if I'm thinking of the same option your talking about.In version 2/3 it was a global setting to shut it off, one check box for all the protection types.But now in V4, I guess you have to go into each threat sense you want optimized scanning off and uncheck the box there.

5. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

someone said the same as you in another old post I found, and I agree with the other original poster that the option you refer to is something different.

For 2 reasons, first it is called something different 'enable smart optimization'. Second the help page for that options says when turned on nod32 will decide on how to scan specific files based on some kind of internal database it has, not 100% sure what it means but it certianly is described very different to the option I mention in my original post here.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There's no sense in having scan optimization switchable. It's enabled in v4 by default and cannot be disabled.

7. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

Going by this, then I presume smart optimization is different than optimized scanning.

A bit confusing..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.