Couple of questions about Windows Defender Offline

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by allizomeniz, Jul 16, 2015.

1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

1. I installed to a flash drive on a Dell with Windows 7 64-bit. All went well. When I booted into boot options, the flash drive was there and had the full name of the flash drive in the list "USB SanDisk Cruzer Glide." But then I tried on a Toshiba Satellite L305 laptop with Vista 32-bit. I successfully installed the program on a flash drive, but when I booted the only USB option was "USB flash memory." It didn't have the name of the flash drive and when I tried to boot to it failed. That was a SanDisk Fit, so I tried it again with a Cruzer Glide but got the same result. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be. Does it sound like something in the OS or the computer model itself?

2. I read in another thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-defender-offline.329771/ that 2 versions of WDO can be added to one flash drive. How would that work when you boot. Would both versions show in list and allow you to choose which one you want?

2. allizomeniz

Just to update. In the laptop I've got another flash drive I keep plugged in, so I unplugged it and now WDO works fine when I select "USB Memory" in boot options. For some reason it can't seem to recognize more than one USB device at boot-time. May be a limitation of the motherboard, not sure. But at least I know how to make it work.

I'm still a bit curious about what would happen if put a 32-bit version and 64-bit version on one drive. I suspect the outcome wouldn't be good for the laptop. If anyone has first-hand experience here I'd appreciate any advice.

3. allizomeniz

Never mind. I started using this because I thought it was portable somewhat like Microsoft Safety Scanner, but after using it a few times I discovered it's loading my hard drive with bloat. Adios WDO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.