Couple of questions about Bartpe

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dbknox, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I have decided to try to make a Bartpe disk and have a couple of questions.
    1.> My XP installation disk is a XP "update" (with SP2) would an update disk work the same as full install disk?
    2.> Could I simply go into device manager and query the drives from there and copy them from system32?

Also I don't see Version 9.0.0 build 3677 plugin at the site.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Your XP installation disk should work just fine. Follow Mustang's Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD and use one of his plugins Mustang's BartPE Plugins. You want the one that is labeled TrueImageHome9_3625_UP.

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thanks for your help thomasjk I have the guide for beginners.
    Have you had any experience using the "driver pack" that you can use with Bartpe?
    I was wondering if I was to download the driver pack, if it was just a matter of adding it to the Bartpe.
    Anyway wish me luck.

4. thomasjk

Yes I have used the driverpack. It should install it self properly in BartPE.

5. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thanks again thomasjk You seem to be the only one helping with Bartpe at the moment. ( I see where you have answered a few other threads) Glad your with us.
    Okay I am on dial-up and very slow dial-up ( 26 KB) so I will get a friend in the "big city" to download the driver pack for me and add it to the PE builder at a later date.
    Meanwhile I have created a Bartpe disk and it works with all the Hard drives on my computer, but not with my USB HHD. The only driver I can see on the CD I got with my USB drive is for win 98se. I assume that win XP uses a Microsoft driver for this USB drive. If you could lead me by the hand just one more time and tell me how I can locate this driver on my main drive, I will be most grateful.
    Thanks in advance.

6. thomasjk

You have to have the USB drive plugged in and powered on before booting with BartPE. The USB support is built into Windows. The driver pack is only for Network cards and Mass Storage devices.

7. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thanks again thomasjk, your help is very much appreciated, I did forget to plug the usb drive in before booting from the Bartpe CD and tried plugging it in after booting to Bartpe. I am sure all is well and working. I will try imaging to the USB drive tomorrow and report back. I really don't need the BartPE as my system works very well with the Acronis boot disk. I am one of the few people that see very little difference backing up with either windows or the Linux environment.
    I figure that the Bartpe will add a safety net to the Acronis loader. ( I made two TI Rescue disks)
    Can never be too safe.

I was amazed at how easily I was able to make the Bartpe CD (with some help from you) I thought I would be picking your brain for a week!
    Thanks again for your help.

8. thomasjk

If you change some hardware in your machine the Linux rescue CD may or may not support it. I use BartPE exclusively because the full version on the rescue CD does not work on my desktop machine.

9. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Yes and that was another reason for making a "Bartpe CD".

Okay I tried pluging in my USB drive and opening the CD/DVD drive with a paper clip and "cold" booting from the BartPe, as if though I had experience a scenerio were my Operating system won't boot from the Hard drive. All my drives show up with BartPe except my USB Drive. The green light is lit. I even tried restarting from the BartPe with no luck. My USB drive is plugged in to the back using the plugs near the top of the tower. ( Nearest the MOB, I have 7 usb plugs on my computer, 5 in the back, in 2 on the front side). The USB drive works fine with the TI rescue disk ( backwards from what most people seem to experience Ie: the drive works with BartPe but not with TI, hence the reason for making a BartPe CD)

10. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

This isn't quite true as I posted earlier this year in a thread titled " Trick I use to see external drive with the rescue disk" I stated ( with a cold boot using the rescue CD) that I have to start TI into "full mode" and then plug in my USB drive and then reboot ( by clicking on the "x" at the top left of the TI window) then I could see my USB drive. I could also see this drive if I first plugged it in while in windows and put in the rescue CD then "restarted".
    Now it seems that this is the only way I can see this USB drive with Bartpe. I tried going all the way to the TI "full" mode and then closing TI and clicking on "GO" in the BartPe and restarting BartPe. Weird, but at least I can get it to work.
    The difference between TI rescue disk and BartPe is that the rescue disk hangs after choosing "full" and the USB drive light goes red. With BartPe the light stays green all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.