Counterspy...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Atomas31, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

Just wondering does Counterspy still a good anti-spyware scanner?

Can it be compare to the malwarebites and superantispyware anti-spyware scanner?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i havent used it in a while but it was pretty good last time i used it, and its Active Protection was decent.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i thinks MBAM is way better/faster/ligther but maybe i am wrong:)

4. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Forget SuperAntiSpyware, their days of pocking around the Operating System are over.

HKEY1952

5. firzen771

i highly disagree, but w/e u say :rolleyes:

6. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I am not sure I understand this oneo_O

I was wondering about counterspy since it seems to me it's been a long time the last time I hear or read about it. At one point, it was consider as one of the best antispyware scanner :doubt:

If they want to regain popularity with it, shouldn't they offer a free version of it like malwarebites and antispywareo_O

7. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Yes, you are wrong. :eek:

MBAM' s strength is mainly the detection & removal of rogue malware, and it does this very well.

Counterspy's protection covers a much larger area. Detection & removal of malware is very good. Counterspy has extra modules such as a hips like component. CS is imo one of the best AS.

I am very satisfied with CS, but I don't think I'm gonna renew my license in the future. Reason being that I also have Prevx running. I think these 2 together are overkill.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i knew i was wrong:D :argh: so i apologies

9. HKEY1952

The definition of poking:

01)- To thrust oneself obtrusively (reading some of the CEO'S Posts on this Forum and other Forums the CEO is inconsiderate toward his clients)
    02)- To search curiously (too many changes in the architecture of the software too often, not consistent)
    03)- To go or proceed in a slow or aimless way (no modern innovation in the product, only borrowed technology)

HKEY1952

10. firzen771

lol why do i care about any of those if the product is effective, and i use the free version, so ive got no complaints.

11. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

It's still got some way to go, but ........

I only found out last week that Inspector Clouseau who used to work for ESET and then F-secure has joined Sunbelt Software. So with his expertise i imagine things might improve quite a bit in the coming months etc !

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/member.php?u=46767

At least it's sunnier n warmer in FLA lol.

12. firzen771

i believe hes been with Sunbelt for a while now. (IIRC)

13. HKEY1952

For security reasons.
    One example, the free version, does not allow disabling the First Chance Protection, Why? What kind of Poking is going on during Boot Time?
    Another example, the retail version, with no Firewall installed and Windows Firewall disabled, the product errors out stating:
    Can not activate product, please allow (two executables, not going to Post them) to pass through the Firewall.
    Enable Windows Firewall or install an Firewall and the program is able to Activate the License.
    Why is this? Perhaps the program wants the Firewall in place so that it can Poke an hole in it to ensure silent communications.

HKEY1952

14. firzen771

wow well after reading this post, now ive completely discredited what u say anymore, before ur opinion was fine, but when u start spewing BS, then... well nvm.

first of all, i disable SAS from starting with the system as soon as i installed it, it lets u disable it just fine, i dont know what ur saying that kind of false ~Phrase removed~.

i have used the Pro version, and no their is no issue with windows firewall, clearly this is an incompatibility on ur system or ur just like saying complete ~Phrase removed~ (which seems to be the pattern from u)

and their has never been an activation issue while having a firewall, NONE on my system ever (issues on YOUR system doesn't mean its a universal problem).

ive come to 1 of 2 conclusions, either u have some severe software incompatibilities whether its from previouslly installed software or ur current setup, OR u have an extremely jaded opinion on SAS (which is clearly a personal hate more than a factual one, cuz ive yet to see u post some other than ur o so reliable personal opinion :rolleyes: ) and just enjoy to spread lies (kind of reminds me of that xpsunny guy who was on these forums a while back and kept spreading hate for SAS (even when it was false most of the time).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  15. HKEY1952

Personally I would use Sunbelts CounterSpy or Vipre. Sunbelt is an reputable company, their support is great, and both products perform as advertised.

HKEY1952

16. egghead

much more alarming about SAS I found this:

SAS4 doesn't attempt to remove commercial keyloggers. According to founder Nick Skrepetos, "we don't detect and remove generic keyloggers as lots of businesses use those…. When we put in a few of the common commercial ones, we got quite a bit of flack from our corporate users."

How is that? Corporate user$ decide what will be detected. What else beside keyloggers will not be detected ?

Quote from review 4/4/08 PCmag Neil Rubenking:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2281595,00.asp

17. firzen771

wuld u like to know how many software doesnt detect Commercial Keyloggers? most do not, only some do. and sorry to burst ur pretty little wonderful world bubble, but EVERYTHING is run by corprate clients, every larger software company will bend for them. and commercial keyloggers are not malicious, if its ur own personal computer, this shuldnt be a prob since who wuld have PHYSICAL access to ur comp to have the time to install it?

18. HKEY1952

There have been many complaints on this issue.
    I have no more input on this subject as I only made aware and the rest is up to everyone else.

HKEY1952

19. firzen771

well post some so u can enlighten me, and the other so called "issues" u wrote about, can u show me some considerable complaint and proof on them?

when making strong accusations like that, proof is a must...

20. egghead

Would not surprise me.

This implicates that all anti malware software is not to be trusted. I'm victimized again. :'(

Tonight I will eat all my anti malware software.

21. firzen771

hehe :D sounds like a plan.

22. Fly

Fly Registered Member

IMO, if you have a good AV (also good at dealing with spyware/adware) or suite, you don't need a program like Counterspy.

Save your money for a good imaging setup. :)

23. HKEY1952

Lets not forget about Microsoft Security Essentials, the Free Retail Version will be as stellar as the current Beta.

HKEY1952

24. firzen771

still waiting... or are u trying to just let this pass and be forgotten so u dont look stupid for posting random bashing claims with nothing to back it up, if i see some real proof then i will say im wrong, till then ill be waiting.

25. overangry

overangry Registered Member

LOOOOOOOOL:D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.