CounterSpy v2 feedback

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Biscuit, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

In the interests of feedback to the community...

I just tried another anti-spyware software, this time CounterSpy. I ran a scan which took 20 mins & it found a tracking cookie. I chose to delete the cookie & CounterSpy sat there for 10 mins deleting the single cookie. I then closed CounterSpy in task manager while it was still trying to delete the cookie & then uninstalled CounterSpy pretty sharpish.

For what it's worth, the software did update successfully though my ISA firewall, but on install it closed down Defender (not that I LIKE Defender) without warning. On uninstallation of CounterSpy, the software did not re-enable Defender. :doubt:

2. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

Biscuit:

CounterSpy does indeed disable Windows Defender, but it should have been re-enabled on uninstall. There's a manual work-around available:

http://www.castlecops.com/t179267-CounterSpy_2_Released.html#892976

The downloadable file in that post contains a .REG file that will re-enable Windows Defender.

As for the apparent hang while deleting the cookie, that is not normal behavior -- not by a long shot. Without knowing more about your PC and the other software installed, I would suspect either a bad install or that another program on your PC is somehow protecting that cookie (just as files can be locked).

Whatever the case, I'm sorry to hear you had a less than stellar experience with CounterSpy. (I am, however, pleased that your PC is apparently free of malware and other unwanted software.)

All the best,

Eric L. Howes
    Sunbelt Software

3. Biscuit

Thanks for your response.

I manually enabled Defender. The relevant running software is shown in my sig, the computer is also joined to an SBS2003 domain.

4. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

Biscuit:

OK, thanks for the info. Nothing in the config info leaps out as a potential culprit.

One other possibility is that CounterSpy, which runs under the system account, does not have write access to the cookie folder. That would be odd, but I've seen odder.

A bad install also remains a potential cause of what you observed.

If you ever do decide to give CounterSpy another go, please do let me know.

Best,

Eric L. Howes
    Sunbelt Software

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

My trial has 6 days to run and so far so good. I'm very happy so far.

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I understand that CounterSpy 2.5 is just around the corner; so perhaps that will iron out the glitches some users have experienced?

7. The Hammer

2.5 RC is available for download. Is that a finished version or a beta approaching release?

8. Biscuit

"RC" is a release candidate. This should be finished with regards to features & functionality, but may still have bugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_candidate

9. one111

one111 Registered Member

Fantastic
    I tried version 2 with all the different builds but non of them were compatible with my computer for some reason. In the meanwhile I went back to version 1.5
    which works fine just a bit weighty.
    I would like to upgrade though eventually and this 2.5 version may be my chance. If not, I may have to find a comparable product.

10. The Hammer

Thanks. I'll wait for the official release.

11. The Hammer

I bought CounterSpy today. I like it a lot better than SAS. It seems to run lighter on my system as well. :D

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hi The Hammer:

Please share more with us as what you find in addition to running lighter in comparison to SAS. It should prove interesting to read some better advantages you might have discovered.

Thnx.

13. The Hammer

There is less system drag on my computer. It seems to run faster and I have more available memory after startup according to Task Manager. Of course other peoples results may differ.

14. Biscuit

Thanks for your response.

After trying several other products, I'm back with Counterspy again & have just finished installing the product. It's still updating - which takes quite some time.

I did notice in the installation that there was a tickbox for disabling defender (I like the notification), is that tickbox new or did I miss it first time around?

15. Biscuit

Hmm.. seems to have "hung" while downloading the initial updates.

The file image is still moving & the app in task manager seesm to be running. However no activity in the process & disk activity (which was substantial) has been stopped for about 10 mins.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/219/496567148_8e00d6239a_o.png

I will stop the app in task manager & reboot.

16. The Hammer

I guess you were right about RC 's.

17. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

Biscuit:

There are several issues with the current 2.5 RC that will have to be addressed before we release version 2.5 to the general public.

Anyone wishing to try CounterSpy would be advised to download and install the version 2.1 from Sunbelt Software's home page -- that is, unless you'd like to help us by tracking down remaining bugs in 2.5.

Best,

Eric L. Howes
    Sunbelt Software

18. Biscuit

Ahh, so I got the RC? :doubt:

I left the app hanging while I went to have dinner & watch a film. 2 hours later, the updates have finished & I'm now running a scan.

19. Biscuit

Reading about how the software works... I was concerned about duplication on my system due to CounterSpy's VIPRE. Is there some way to turn off that function so that I just get the Spyware protection?

20. Biscuit

Scub the previous question.

Just finished the scan & it found 1 cookie. I chose to delete the cookie & CS deleted the cookie although it took about 1 minute to do so. Afterwards, the CS window was blank with a heading of not responding for a good 2 mins. The software is now back running just in time to be uninstalled.

There really is a big issue to find effective & stable anti-spy software for Vista computers. 6 month's after Vista RTM I still can't get anything for my customer base.

21. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.