CounterSpy & Ewido

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by 0pium_Dealer, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0pium_Dealer

0pium_Dealer Registered Member

Just a quick question for you guys.

I am a licence holder for Ewido, currently running that with SpywareGuard and Blaster.

I also use NOD as my prefered AV and I'm thinking of installing CounterSpy as well. I've noticed CounterSpy has an active monitoring function that's very similar to Ewido's. Are there any known compatibility issues with running both side-by-side?

I've been told you're only suppose to run one firewall and one AV at a time, does the same apply to spyware programs too?

Thanks

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I also have both programs installed and I never had any problems, but I am using CounterSpy as on demand only now.

I installed Ewido after TDS-3 was discontinued and if I remember correctly I had them running both in real time for a couple of days and it was OK.

Hope it helps.:)

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I currently run CounterSpy and Ewido together realtime and there is no conflict.

Two AVs can conflict because they are deeply integrated into the system and will be scanning all files written to or read from HD. ATs don't do this realtime, they look at memory and processes. CounterSpy will, I beleive, examine all executables attempting to run, but it will also be monitoring certain other critical areas that an AV or AT will not be considering - so they compliment each other.

However you certainly don't want to run SpywareGuard with CounterSpy, the latter is far more comprehensive.

4. 0pium_Dealer

0pium_Dealer Registered Member

Cheers guys, downloaded and installed it. Seems to be working OK. Currently have both active monitor running. So far so good.

BTW Topper, why would you not recommend running both SpywareGuard and CounterSpy together?

Will the two cause conflict? I have then plus Ewido running in the background at the moment...

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

SWG should not conflict with CS; it is just covering the same ground by warning you of changes to IE URLs, BHOs etc. You don't need two progs telling you the same thing.

The only additional thing SWG is supposed to do is block the D/L of certain 'bad' items, but I have never managed to discover precisely what it is supposed to be blocking! However, since SWG has not been updated in a long time it is unlikely to offer you much worthwhile protection additional to CS.

If you don't mind the redundancy then you can run them both together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.