counterspy better than microsoft antispyware how come???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chaos16, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

Hi

Well well, I am surprised nobody has mentioned the disscussion going on over at DSLReports about this very subject?

Where M$ is thinking of buying Claria (Gator ), a known spyware company and M$ has downgraded it's Defs for this spyware from Quarinten to IGNORE !!!!!!
    Now there is all kinds of speculation going on about M$'s motives.

controler

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

It doesn't seem plausible to me that MS needs to purchase an anti-spyware detection tool in order to protect against spyware, when it is, in fact, their own operating system that is allowing all the spyware to get on in the first place - and it is a rather simple matter to remove the spyware "entry points" (or minimally restrict them), if MS really wanted to do this.

Rather, I think MS decided to purchase Giant AS/MS AS, in order to control (not stop) what spyware is allowed on the system and what is classified as spyware. No doubt, anything that is MS derived will not be considered spyware, just like all of the stuff that MS already has embedded in their own operating sytem and browser tools that help MS identify what their users are doing.

This is one of the reasons I did not install MS AS and installed Firefox. I do not use Outlook or any other MS software other than Windows (which hopefully I can get rid of in the not to distant future) and MS Word (which I use only rarely). Privacy, is one thing that MS never really cared or cares about. And they will not start caring until some big lawsuits, related to security breaches (either directly against MS or against financial institututions) start hurting MS enough to change its ways.

In any case, MS AS, I believe just promotes a false sense of security and probably should be avoided.

Rich

3. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

there are 4 proceesors for microsoft antispyware and they are all allowed internet access??

so why can't i update yet coz of server overloado_O

or something else??

4. controler

controler Guest

rich

The Kioppix Bootable CD OS seems to work pretty good for me.
    Comes with Chat client, e-mail, Sun's Star Office and a huge bunch more.
    It seems to be compressed and uncompresses on the fly.
    Their Bootable DVD is suppose to have much more software included on it, although I have not tried the DVD version yet.

Best part is it is free and you can use it as your online offline scan for rootkits.

I been thinking of trying this with RAMDisk. So much to do, so little time ey?

chaos16
    Frequent Poster was looking for answers as to why counterspy was better then M$antispyware but doesn't appear to be listening or doesn't care.

controler

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Chaos 16, You are a licensed Counterspy user. They have a toll free support number (877-673-1153). With their direct line help this could be resolved potentially in minutes.. :cool:

6. chaos16

i dodn't like counterspy coz everytime u remove a spyware u have to restart the computer

7. controler

controler Guest

Sunbelt sent me an e-mail inviting me to join their Counterspy Beta.
    I downloaded it and installed it. ON checking it showed 15 day trial.
    After first update, it showed I had a 365 day LIC. I was having some WIndows update problems and thought uninstalling Counterspy might help. It didn't my problem was with another software.
    I then reinstalled COunterspy. AFter doing so, I could not update and still can not. The program just hangs, And so My Help about shows 15 day trial still.
    I also got an e-mail stating my 15 day trial ran out.

go figure huh?

I will go get the original invite to the Beta e-mail and try the download from there again.

controler

8. chaos16

i thionk the problem is kasperskt.

but i will have to uninstall it to find out.

and i can't be bothered to do all that everytime i want to update it.

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

chaos16,

Unless you have the IDS portion of KAV active, I would personally look deeper into how you firewall is handling the update process. Alternatively, given the security applications that you have available, I guess I'd ask myself whether the lack of Counterspy and/or Microsoft AS results in major vulnerabilities. Both are good applications to have available, but you are quite well covered as it is.

Blue

10. controler

controler Guest

Counterspy said they were closed for the 4th of July and think their
    update server must have been closed also because right away this morning,
    When I clicked update, it worked fine. All day yesterday, when I tried to update, the app hung untill I unpluged the network cable.

controler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.