counterspy better than microsoft antispyware how come???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chaos16, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

how come counterspy is better than microsoft antispyware for detection and for realtime protectiono_O

if microsoft antispyware has the same program as counterspy plus the same defso_O

and how come they have the same program if microsoft bought giant not counterspyo_O

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

From CounterSpy forum:
    Regards

3. chaos16

pls help me with this

i used to use microsoft antispyware but 2 weeks ago i bought counterspy and prefer it more than microsoft antspyware has it has better detection now i don't know if it lighter on the resources.

wat i want to know it why can't i update it i could not update microsoft antispyware eithero_O

the defs are in number 144 and the latest is 198 and every time i update it says it has the latest update wats wrongo_O

i use zonealarm firewall and i use kasperskt antivirus personal pro 5.0.372 now could these 2 programs be the problemo_O

as well i use spywareblaster.

but could it be kaspersky??

i disabled the realtime protection of the both but still no update possible can anyone pls help me pls

anyone have the same problemo_O

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You can't have the MS AntiSpyware and CounterSpy installed on the same computer...

5. chaos16

i don't i used to use microsoft antispyware and then i heard of counterspy that it was the same but better. and as i could not update microsoftantispyware i bought counterspy and it has the same problem pls helpo_O

i have kaspersky antivirus and zonealam i have tried disabling the both of them but it say its up to date and is not coz its on 144 and its supposed to be on 198 pls helpo_O

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

See if you have access permissions to CounterSpy on your Firewall...

7. chaos16

they all have permission and i still can't update ito_O?

i gave a scan and its found 2 tinyspyagent keyloggers and 10 visage without updating.

and adaware se, spybot-search & destroy, ewido, kaspersky antivirus, a2 has not found them o_O WoW

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

From the main site;

9. chaos16

done it still can't update ito_O

wats wrong

as well with counterspy u have to restart the computer once u remove a spyware or adawareo_O

i don't like that :doubt:

10. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

chaos16,

First of all, slow down. You won't make any progress on resolving the update issue if you keep jumping from topic to topic. It is best to focus on one problem and stay focused until it is resolved.

I'm a little confused on your definitions history. When you installed it two weeks ago it was at 144 and now it's supposed to be at 198? That sounds like a rather large jump. I know the first thing that I'd do is to is a simple download of a fresh program copy, uninstall the old version, remove all signs of that application from the HDD and registry (if possible) and then reinstall the fresh copy and see if there is any difference.

Now, as far as I can tell and according to the Sunbelt site, as of today July 3 the current definitions file is 196 (released 6/29/2005). I don't use this software, so I can't authoritatively comment on the difference.

Under ZoneAlarm, what Counterspy related processes are granted internet access? Do you have any other monitoring programs installed? What OS are you running? Do any other applications have difficulty connecting? What do the ZA logfiles indicate? Have you done any tweaking to the OS services?

Blue

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

If nothing else you can check the support area on the website or use their email support link. They have a toll free support number (877-673-1153) and a support site at Castlecops: http://castlecops.com/f164-CounterSpy.html.. :D

13. chaos16

i use windows xp with sp2 (windows firewall disabled)

i do not use a proxy

and yes zonealarm allows counterspy through the internet.

14. derway

derway Registered Member

Just start turning things off, until it works.

Turn off zone alarm, and try update.

Turn of KAV and try update.

If that doesn't work, you are so infected, it is preventing you from updating, which is what sounds like to me.

What version of Kaspersky were you running? Up to date? Did you know you have to tell it to use the extended threat database, to make sure it catches all these kinds of things?

Good luck,
    Don

15. BlueZannetti

chaos16,

Thanks. I downloaded an evaluation copy of Counterspy to see how it behaved. A few things that I have noticed are:
    • If you block Internet access to the updater, the message that it was blocked is visible only for a couple of seconds. However, if it should still be apparent.
    • Somewhat disconcerting, on the main screen, even though the update was actively blocked, I get the message that definitions were checked today (well, it did try) and that they awere current. As with you, the definitions associated with the trial download and the ones active on my PC is file 144. So the behavior you see is consistent with a blocked update - whether that is the cause in your case is another matter.
    • Do a manual update. If you select File -> Check for updates from the main Counterspy window, what do you see? At least in my case, with my firewall blocking access, I see a persistent window with a warning that it could not connect to the internet. Note, again, the main menu will still maintain that the defintions are up to date. For an automated update, this message window doesn't seem to be persistent.
    • Are the following two applications both allowed internet access by Zone Alarm: Counterspy (COUNTERSPY.EXE) and Counterspy Data Service (SUNASDTSERV.EXE)?
    • On an update, is there any indication that the download occurs but is not applied? Do you have any other protective software applications running?
    Blue

16. chaos16

i have tried through file and the update works it does complete but it doesn't download any updates it just completes

17. BlueZannetti

Could you post screen shot of exactly what you are seeing?

Blue

18. chaos16

i don't know why i can't put a image on the siteo_O

i do a screen dump and then put it on paint and then save it then i try to upload it and it never finisheso_O

19. BlueZannetti

You are probably exceeding file size limitation if you are doing a screen dump. Get a copy of MWSnap. It is free and all you need. Forget about Paint for what we are trying to do here. Save the file as a png type (portable network graphics) - that tends to be the most compact. Usage of MWSnap is extremely easy - do a quick walk through it and you should be good to go.

Blue

20. chaos16

i can't change the file to png??

21. BlueZannetti

I don't understand what you are saying here. Have you downloaded and installed MWSnap, used it to take a screenshot, and saved that screenshot as a png file? That's one of the options on the Save as type pulldown menu. Or are you simply trying to rename an existing graphic file?

Blue

22. chaos16

This is 2 screen shots of microsoftantispyware as i have changed to microsoftantispyware.

Attached Files:

23. chaos16

and here is another one that shows the update completed and it hasn't updated anything coz it says its up to date and its not.

Attached Files:

24. BlueZannetti

chaos16,

When I was running Giant, I would see the same symptoms from a blocked access - except that I would see an access denied message if I tried to perform the update manually. I also had instances where, using mutiple PC's, some would update and others worldn't - yielding the same message that you are seeing (i.e. everything is fine). In the case of Giant, it usually (but not always) did resolve itself within a few days (almost as though they were trying to control server load). I never received a satisfactory answer from Microsoft/Giant on what was occurring - and in some cases definitions were 1-2 weeks out of date, although, as I recall, running a manual update always fixed this problem for me. Auto updating was enabled and there were no connection issues on these machine.

With respect to ZA - were both Sunbelt processes (I think there are up to 4 for Giant) allowed access?

Blue

25. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

r

I have MS Antispyware and CounterSpy installed on my computer without any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.