CounterSpy 3.1.2250 - Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Malcontent, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Well, I've tried exactly that, and my computer froze.

I'll give it a try again.

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

To my surprise, it worked !

It's no way to perform updates on a daily basis though.

3. TW843

TW843 Registered Member

Fly, glad to see that U succeeded in updating Counterspy. I agree with U that
    this is not the right way to update a program we paid for but..for the time being
    let's go on. Regards

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Well, I'm mad.

I performed a scan with Counterspy. My system was clean, according to Counterspy. (I had unblocked Counterspy in the firewall).

(Windows XP Home Edition IE 7)

Later, I decided to clean up my PC and deleted some cookies and temporary files. I do that frequenly, and there is never a problem with that except in very rare occasions when I have to deal with malfunctioning security software. Then I shut down the computer.

Programs shut down quickly, but it took the Windows XP system an eternity to shut down. The system appeared almost frozen.

'Logging off' as a user took many minutes. Then the shutdown procedure continued. After more than 5 minutes, I decided to restore an image !

As I stated after my previous attempt 'I don't know what was in that soup'.

I'm not going to try that again. Lost money. :mad:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  5. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Hi Fly, Sorry that you still have a problem with CounterSpy.

The way I described getting the update(incremental) takes about 25 minutes on dialup. If I do it the way TW843 described(Full update) it would take me about 10.5 hours on dial up. Feasible?.....yes. Practical?.....no.

Obviously, not a satisfactory way to update a program, especially compared to some in the AV/AS field. As a long time beta tester for Sunbelt it looks like I, also will not be continuing with this version of CounterSpy(2.5) when it expires shortly. This program is not suitable for updating if one is a dial up user, one must be on broadband.

6. TW843

TW843 Registered Member

YES, I'am on broadband and confirm it works. also PC shoutdown not taking
    more than 15/20 seconds.

7. Abby Normal

Abby Normal Registered Member

I can still update my 2.5 and ran a scan with no problems... But to date I have not tried to upgrade to 3.1.

Still on the fence with that one.........

Also tried the full update from the tab and it worked also...

All of the above takes a lot of time though.... but it works for me....

8. R3XNebular

R3XNebular Registered Member

Avira and Counterspy are conflicting which should I disable, Counterspy or Avira, its sad that they can't co-exist

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if this is counter spy with no antivirus,then keep avira and introduce superantispyware and it will be ok or if you like counterspy keep it with another antivirus of your choice,maybe drivesentry.what do you thimk?

10. bitbizket

bitbizket Registered Member

This latest version is just piece of s*** .

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

You could also 'upgrade' to VIPRE (from Sunbelt), and ditch Avira. The Counterspy version 3 is supposedly a subset of VIPRE, which is said to be an antimalware product (antivirus+antispyware).

If you already have Counterspy then 'upgrading' to VIPRE should cost little money.

But I don't know how good/bad VIPRE really is. I'm basically waiting for the reviews.

You'd still need a compatible firewall.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

or use their own sunbelt firewall:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.