Counter Spy V2 gone Black!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by turtle63, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turtle63

turtle63 Registered Member

Talked my friend into purchasing Counter Spy and I set it up on his computer for him, worked fine till the other day and the icon in the taskbar went Black.

Went round to check it out, there was an error occurring saying could not stop the Sunbelt Counterspy service on local computer. Error 1053.

When you check the event viewer this is what it says.
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Checked that the service was running and tried to stop it but could not.

Uninstalled the program and reinstalled with the same problem and another error, failed to initialize the service controller, the service may not be running.
    It is running when you go to check it.

He is running Windows 2000 all up to date.

Anyway help apreciated, as it is a good program and I have been using it for years not a problem.

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

When you bootup, CS2 needs to install drivers (both sbcssvc.exe and Services.exe seem to do this) if something conflicts with that you get a black icon. I had the same problem but could get it going again by manually double clicking the desktop icon. In my case I think it was KAV 6 and/or Process Guard that conflicted. So:-

1) What version of CS2 did you run? (Version 2.1.946 is the most recent and contains some bug fixes).

2) Are you running KAV 6, or anything else that may be conflicting?

I've gone back to CS 1.5 to avoid these problems, it's a pity but just at the moment CounterSpy2 simply does not function as it should on all systems. Maybe this will be fixed in a future build.

By the way, CS2 requires Windows 2000 Pro SP3+ , did this apply in your case?

3. turtle63

HI there TopperID, tried to get it running by clicking on the Desktop icon but no difference, in face that is when the last error occurs.

It is version 2, just not sure which as my friend isn't home so can't go and check. No havn't got anything that would conflict with it I think.

He has SP4 so all good there.
    Might have to go back a version too, will look into that.

cheers

4. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

turtle63:

The main screen of CounterSpy 2 tells you the exact build and definitions version -- look in the upper right hand corner.

At this point I would suggest performing an uninstall through Add/Remove Programs, then following these manual removal instructions to ensure that nothing of previous installations remains:

http://www.castlecops.com/t179338-Manual_Removal_Instructions_for_CounterSpy.html

After that, make sure to download the latest version (build 946):

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/spyware/CounterSpy/CSC.2.1.946.0.RTM.exe

Then reinstall.

Finally, as the other poster indicated, there may be a conflict with some other program that's running in the background. What other programs are running (esp. anti-malware programs)?

Eric L. Howes
    Sunbelt Software

5. turtle63

hI Eric, Thanks for that info, I have to wait until he is home then go round and have a look and try what you have suggested.
    I had previoulsy uninstalled through the Control Panel but hadn't downloaded the latest version, just used the one saved onhis computer.
    When I have done what you suggest I will post back, it will be a few days tho as I too am going away tomorrow.
    Cheers for now.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

When it loads on my system the system tray icon is initially black for five or six seconds then returns to normal. I suspect that it is black while NOD loads. Seeems to be functioning ok otherwise though.

7. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

The Hammer:

What you've described is normal. You're simply witnessing the CSC service and Active Protection module being turned on.

On most of my boxes I rarely see a black/gray icon -- it simply pops into the tray reddish orange, then turns yellow as AP is turned on. But then I don't have many other programs starting up with Windows. On other boxes, I've seen exactly what you're describing.

Best,

Eric L. Howes
    Sunbelt Software

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.