Could you recommend an antivirus-less setup?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Doraemon, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

Hi there! :D

I'd like to know if there's anybody here going antivirus-less successfully. o_O If so, I'd like you to share your experience and setup! :argh:

Thanks mates! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The problem with this question is the word "successfully." I could run quite a long time with NO real-time security protection whatsoever, simply because I surf in safe waters.

Your level of security is only revealed when it fails. Not being infected doesn't necessarily mean that you're OKAY.

HOWEVER, there are ways to run your computer so configured that, even if a nasty invades your computer, it will be *isolated* such that it won't be free to do any permanent damage. Examples of isolation techniques inclued LUA/SRP, virtual OS, sandboxing, etc. Examples of apps for this include but are by no means limited to DefenseWall, Shadow Defender, Returnil, Online Armor using Run Safer.

P.S. If Kees1958 somehow overlooks this thread, I suggest you call it to his attention via PM (he is a proponent of isolation techniques). Another fan of naked surfing includes Mrkvonic.

3. philby

philby Registered Member

Absolutely.

I run only Returnil (free version - AE on, AV off).

I reboot often and keep a known-clean (as far as you can ever know) baseline image for reinstatement from time to time.

philby

4. progress

progress Guest

Windows with LUA - fast and secure :)

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You can't pull it off successfully unless you, the user, has the knowledge and capability to do so.

6. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

LUA/SRP/DEP/ACL are some of the built in security features of windows that will help you achieve your "antivirus-less" setup.

you might want to read and learn about them.

then add this in top of that:

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

What operating system and version are you needing to know about? For instance, XP Pro or Windows 7 Ultimate...etc

That will make a lot of difference in what you need to know.

8. doc77

doc77 Registered Member

in XP Pro a LUA with SRP, DEP enabled for all programs, behind a router + windows firewall and I've tested hundreds of malicious links from the mbam forum or malwaredomainlist and haven't been able to execute anything. I do on demand scans with hitman pro and emsisoft, always clean.

I don't know, if I can surf to the nastiest parts of the internet and not be able to infect my pc even if I try to deliberately, then it is safe enough for me not to worry about a real time AV or using other tools. If you add Kees anti-executable download tweak then it hardens the system even further.

I'm comfortable with my router + windows firewall with 'no exceptions', however you might consider the Comodo Firewall or Sandboxie. Comodo appears much improved as far as pop ups go and includes a sandbox for free :thumb: .

9. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Today we talk about muti layer scheme, and you wish to do without a security element ?

10. culla

culla Registered Member

on xp pro uninstalled java use firefox with abp and flashblock run in sandboxie no windows updates and i use returnil2008 windows firewall set with no exceptions and an image program just in case also most programs i run are portable on a flash drive :D :D :D i've been running like this since 2008 on 1pc without any problems i run hjt to check sometimes no problems and yes i visit dodgy sites sometimes i'll have to delete the sandbox thats all goodluck :D :D :D

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

All in the signature :cool:

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Sandboxie + Instant System Recovery software like AyRecovery, EAZ-FIX or Rollback Rx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.