Could you identify this Trojan Please.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Tony H, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony H

Tony H Registered Member

Hi,

A relative has got a Trojan they think is called Trojan-spy.win32@mx or maybe smitfraud.

It places a flashing yellow triangle in the icon tray and displays a text bubble which gives information about itself as above. When you click on it it opens IE and goes to a web site which requires $50 to download a remover software.

I have hunted around but cannot find any info on a virus, malware or trojan that matches this activity, which is probably out there somewhere.

I tried running Norton AV but no luck.

Any help appreciated.

T.

2. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

The alert box is caused by z-lob/fake alert trojan and is normaly part of a smitfraud type infection.
    The following free software will nuke the fake alert and associasted infection files.
    http://superantispyware.com/

Or alternatively you could use AVG7.5 free+SmitRem+Panda activescan which is the *canned* fix for this infection.

All the best :)

3. Tony H

Tony H Registered Member

Thanks a lot, will try it

T.

Edit: Worked - its gone. Many thanks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  4. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Your welcome :)

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Mmm fixing this for my neighbour tonight - must be variant 'cos its gone tough:)
    He has 2 triangles, one like already mentioned and another which alternates with the minesweeper icon, maybe he selected on a pop-up.
    Anyway his SuperAntiSpywareFree will not update and the usual fix, safemode/HJT/smitrem/ewido/panda activescan/atf-cleaner fails. If I hadn't told him to go make some coffee I think he would have baseball batted his machine.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Seems Zlob Trojan on the rise, media codec - trojan that poses as a codec needed to view umm something! plus he had not updated Windows. Thanks to HJT/ProcX/SmitRem and atf-cleaner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.