Could I get some overall suggestions for my set up?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Tired, Oct 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tired

Tired Registered Member

I really do need some sound advice and hope that I can find it here.
    I am running Dell Laptop C840, P4M, 1.6GHz, WIN2000Prof
    Relevant Software:McAfee 7.0 w/o the firewall, Tauscan TRIAL VERSION, Internet Sweeper, Ad-Aware.
    I have temporarily uninstalled my Zone Alarm Pro but want to reinstall it soon.
    Can I make this work? What would you ad or delete? I do need to keep McAfee for now. There seem to be better AT programs than the trial version I have now. What antiTrojan software would work here?
    TH seems to be my speed but some one mentioned it will not scan some things (?). I am worried about compatability issues here also - with all my software. Could you Discuss this whole picture?
    Thanks very much. :)

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

SpyBot S&D is an excellent companion to Ad-Aware. They compliment each other but Spybot scans faster and also finds and can clear "usage tracks" on your computer should you wish it do so.

I would also recommend looking into The Proxomitron if you are interested in blocking all pop-ups and gaining a LOT of control over your internet experience. It's a little much to tweak but i use it at default and am happy with it.

I'm no expert on much of anything so can't discuss compatability or anything but I think these two programs would be good additions.

3. claire

claire Guest

Hi,
    Give a try to Trojan Hunter(free trial version for 30 days)
    you won't regret it.
    As firewall you could also give a try to LookandStop(with
    enhanced ruleset).
    I don't think there will be any compatibility issues with your
    other programs.As Detox said Spybot is an excellent compagnion to Ad-Aware.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Tired.I can tell you what has been compatable with my system in regards to programs/program types that you listed.I like Trojan Hunter.No compatability issues and I run a lot of programs!I think what you mentioned about not scanning may be regarding no heuristics?I had Adaware previously,still run Spybot.I had no problems running these two.I prefer Spybot.I had Internet Sweeper also.No problems with that program either.I switched to SuperCleaner from southbaypc.com.It cleans my browser temp files(both IE6 & Opera)and clears my index.dat.files as well as cleans garbage files from my pc..If you are interested in popup killers,I recommend Spyblocker.It's 19.95 for a lifetime license and I never see a popup when I surf the net.It blocks other things also;scripts,worms,web bugs,etc..

5. snowman

snowman Guest

**Have been away for awhile an just noticed this post**

Tired

since your post is rather old an I haven't noticed any new ones by you I can only guess if you will read this.however...

w2k has a built-in means of a firewall.....TO BE USED ONLY WITH AN ACTUAL FIREWALL........see:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=1930

since you asked about over-all os solutions this does not appear to be off-topic.......plus.its a not much known addage to w2k that perhaps someone else will notice and find of use........oh, this regards w2k only

snowman

6. root

root Registered Member

Hey Snowman, have you seen this?
    IPSEC
    I'm tempted.

7. snowy

snowy Guest

Root

veryyyyyyy unfortunately I don't as yet have w2k.....I did finally locate where to purchase what I need...cost $180 plus tax.......for winME...........yes I will purchase it.

frankly I can't see how this could be anything but useful......backed up with an application firewall it would harden security immensely....should be well worth a try.....you have the knowledge........certainly a newbe would not want to attempt this....IMHO
    its surprises me that more w2k owners are not using this........I considered a new os.....an decided to go to w2k and stick with it.........first I want to petition in order to have win 98...w2k...and mandrake........an you just reminded me to get what I need to petition.
    Please advise me if you try this....thanks for the link.

snowman

P.S.

I realize there are combined rule/application firewalls....yet firewalls can be hacked.........but if the os itself is refusing to accept the hack attempt.....thats a whole differant ball game/

8. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi Tired!

I'm also a notebook user. My system is set up as such:-

OS -- W2K SP3
    Browser -- IE6 SP1/OPERA v6.05
    Anti-Virus Program -- NAV2003 Pro & AVG (both resident), Fix-It Utilities's anti-virus (on demand)
    Anti-Trojan Programs -- The Cleaner & TH (both resident)
    Firewall - Outpost Pro
    Anti-Spyware Programs -- Ad-aware, SpybotS&D, Pest Patrol
    Registry Cleaners -- jv16 Power Tools, RegClean, System Mechanic, Registry Healer, Fix-It Utilities's RegistryFixer, MRU Blaster, RegScrubXP, RegVac

plus....plus

Everything's fine so far

:D

9. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Root: I agree - I've simply not yet got round to giving it a try.

10. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Snowy - please forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs :oops: - but you're not confusing ME with W2K, are you? IMHO, and with all due respect to any ME owners, $180 on ME is $180 wasted............ :doubt: :'(

If you've got a large collection of legacy game software, run win98 as an alternate boot

11. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Well worth a look for anyone running W2K. Anyone familiar with rule based firewalls should have no problem setting up a custom IPSec policy. Just make sure you know all the types of inbound/outbound traffic you are going to need as there is no logging and if you forget something, it just won't work once the policy is assigned.

Regards
    CrazyM

12. snowy

snowy Guest

Buds...

greetings..........LOL....there are those you can't stand win ME.........an a few....granted a very few who lorv winME......I manage to stumble along the internet highway with winME.....slowly,,,with caution...and the os back-up disks..LOL... What I mentioned above is the w2k install for winME.....however...afterwards I realized that since I already have windows...I don't need the complete install...just w2k..........its just something I would like to attempt.....already have win98.......

CrazyM

of course you are absolutely correct.......I even gave the same idea some thought.......however...as previously mention the idea of having an OS that simply can not "accept" certained packets is imho adds a higher degree of security than a firewall can........firewalls can be hacked..corrupted..bypassed...etc....whereas the "fix" mentioned above simply shuts down the ability of the OS to allow certain packets.......please feel free to comment....if I am seeing this in-correctly I rather be corrected than make a mistake.......thankya...

WHEW!! I just woke-up an this is far to much for my simple mind at the moment.....where is that coffee poto_O

snowman

13. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

snowman

I don't know if it's a matter of degrees or one necessarily being better than the other. I look at it as another layer in my overall system security. Along with customizing other security policies, running only required services, a custom IPSec policy is an additional step W2K users can take in securing the OS in and of itself. Other layers would consist of things like software firewalls (for application control), AV/AT software, router/gateway, etc.

Worst case scenario, so could IPSec and your system if the Admin account was compromised. Just another reason to layer your security. Which includes renaming the Admin account and utilizing a user account for your day to day activities.

Are you refering to the TCP/IP filtering from your earlier post or IPSec? There is a difference and IPSec is the better way to go. The link root posted explains the difference between the two. IPSec is very effective at allowing the traffic you want and nothing else including dropping unsolicited inbound traffic.

Another post from earlier this year discussing IPSec:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=3266;start=0

Hope that helps clarify things...

Regards
    CrazyM

14. snowy

snowy Guest

CrazyM

agreed with your post.....layers..layers..and more layers........although I am not as computer savy as many here......that in and of itself just proves that a person from any walk of life can improve computer securty. if they just make a minor effort......an for w2k users.....here is just one more layer.......free.

snowman

p.s. you just gave me an idea on how to improve administrator priv. for myself

15. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

If SPY1 was around right now he'd be disappointed in us... we didn't mention that IESPYAD is a great thing and SockLock and maybe something else I can't think of... Would like to find a post that Pete made in a thread like this but I've really no idea how far back it was...

16. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Pete's POST ;)

These programs are as follows (and all are freeware) :

Zeroclick, SockLock and HTAstop (all from http://privsoft.com/ ). And DSOstop2 from them, here: http://www.nsclean.com/dsostop.html

noscript.exe from here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/win.script.hosting.html

You need a script-control program of some sort, too (I use Scriptrap, from here: http://keir.net/ , but ScriptSentry is excellent, too: http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/scriptsentry.asp ).

Also from J.Levine, use IRCBotDetector, to see if anyone's already using your computer for their own purposes: http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/IRCBot-Detector.asp

To keep your homepage from being hi-jacked (until something better comes along) use StartPageGuard from here: http://www.networkingfiles.com/SecurityApps/startpageguard.htm .

Get the Comdlg32 Registry Path Eraser from here, too: http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/downloads.html

All these programs are quite easy to set-up, and I wouldn't hit the 'Net without all of them going. They're extremely light on resources and small in size.

Let us know how it goes! Pete

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2465;start=15

________

IE-SPYAD & AGNIS Lists Updated

Ad Blocking Resources
    IE-SPYAD: Restricted Sites List for Internet Explorer
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=3386;start=0

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ah-ha! there it is :D

Thnx for that I was gonna scan for it after I got home today but not here in the school puter lab!

Good ol' Pete...

still helping us out :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.