could FCI dialer be a false positive in spybot?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sundial, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sundial

sundial Registered Member

Hello, I just bought a new computer and after 8 reformats and installing of software from cds, connecting to the internet to update kaspersky antivirus and spybot, etc. and first scanning of what is most likely a "clean" computer each time, I keep getting "FCI" dialer positive scan on spybot. Is it possible that this is a false positive in spybot?

Perhaps there is another scan that picks up the FCI dialer and then I can know if two programs pick it up that it might be a true positive?

2. powerplug

powerplug Guest

I just ran a scan of Spybot (fully updated) on Win xp to see if it's a FP with Spybot and it didn't detect any dialers. But my question would be is do you connect through dialup? Because maybe it's detecting your dialer if you connect that way. Some anti-malware will detect generic dialers from various ISPs as possible malware dialers.

3. sundial

No, I am using dsl and the new computer is windows xp with sp2.
    Currently I uninstalled Spysubtract and Norton IS 2005 and I have installed:
    KAV
    ZA free
    opera
    spybot without teatimer
    spywareguard
    spywareblaster
    Microsoft antispyware beta
    processguard free
    winpatrol
    filtergate beta (that's to keep everyone off the the dangerous websites)

(between the reformats I have been trying various combinations of av's and firewalls such as KIS2006, outpost pro, avg).

4. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

download Adaware SE and update and run full scan

5. sundial

I have already done adaware scan and it was negative (sorry, left that one off the list).

Could spybot be recognizing one of the isp dialers that come with new computers like AOL etc as FC dialer?

6. urrguru

urrguru Registered Member

More than likely this's a scuzzy spoof that SpyBot is inflicting in users. I rant as I too have hassled with this 'false positive' ever since 9-23-05 where I first tried getting SB' to respond to my suspicions (and they refused replying until I began a barrage of e-mails to them).

I am led to believe that this is a SB' spoof even moreso as not only did they ignore my webmail submittal of a bug report for months, but they basically ignored my e-mails for about a week or more, then all they replied back with was (broken) english stating I needed to give them more info (like I didn't each time I wrote).

Despite my sending them everything possible about my os and SB's scanning reports, they continued with what appears to be intentional spoofiness by saying "We are detecting three different FCI threats: ("FCI Dialer", "FCI malware DyFuCA", and (get this, more broken english spouting an infection named...) "A Trojan which is coming with the malware DyFuCA".

Lastly, I've spent considerable time researching reputable anti-spyware companies (i.e.; those whom are not on anybodies 'spoof' list) and using the most respected companies scanners, my checks for DyFuCA, FCI, etc. all resulted in them all failing to detect it or anything even remotely like spyware or malware on my os.

Despite the freeware that it is, I'm almost at a loss (they appreciate donations) as to why SB' refuses to repeatedly admit they have a problem (and fix it), sadly I have become to truely believe that in as much as SB' provides little to no intelligible support, if only for the reasons that it is freeware, they refuse to admit the problem they are inflicting on their users.

My best to all and to all, happ-e-trails,

urrguru

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  7. dog

dog Guest

Could you guys provide the exact details of what Spybot is finding? Files, Registry entries, host file entries ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.