Cost of AV's and choices with confusion.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Davidpr, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

This is the first time I have posted here but I have been reading these forums for a while.

PC security is such an important issue but for someone like me who has two family PC's the cost of buying a good quality AV is prohibitive. I have been using Avast for a while which, so far, has been ok.

However I would love to put NOD 32 or KAV on both my machines. I wish AV companes would be more imaginative with their licensing policies. For example instead of charging £25 each why not charge £30 for the two? I am sure that this would generate many more sales for them and reduce the number of people using pirate copies.

Thanks.

David.

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Re: Cost of AV's.

Hi David,
    Bit Defender permits the use of one license on two personal machines by the same user. I don't know for sure if that would apply to a family. You might query them if interested.

Best,
    Jerry

3. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Frisk's F-prot has a liberal policy:
    Personal license covers up to five computers in the license holder's home

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

You will often find family packs. Eset has one for example. I know Symantec does also. I'm sure a few others do.

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

The ONLY reason I continue to use NAV is that almost all year long, one can find free, or very low cost, AFTER rebate NAV or 3 user NAV packages. Often these are bundled with another Symantec product.

If you live in the USA, check th weekly ads at stores such as CompUSA, Staples, Circuit city, Best buy, Frys, etc., (and their companion web sites) and watch web sites such as http://www.buy.com/ and http://www.outpost.com/.

Do NOT get such McAfee packages, VS 10 just ain't worth it.

6. ardvark

ardvark Registered Member

Hi David...

I know how you feel, the only thing that prevents me from using NOD or Kapersky (or ANY paid AV) is that I refuse to pay both the cost of the program AND yearly "subscriptions" just to get the definition updates. The updates are part of the program and should not be an additional charge.

Guess I will be using a free AV for the rest of my life:D

Best Regards...

7. Howard Kaikow

I do not agree,

It is perfectly valid to charge for subscriptions.

Also, at some point, as with any software, specs change and updates cease.
    No company can be expected to provide updates forever for old software.

An advantage of NAV is that you get FREE program updates AFTER the subscription expires, until Symantec drops support forthat versopn of the software. I get the impression that othe AV does not do this.

8. ardvark

ardvark Registered Member

Hi Howard...

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree, that's fine:D

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

What good is that without current definitions?

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes, I would like an answer on that one too. :)

11. pykko

pykko Registered Member

well, my humble oppinion on this topic....
    AV vendors have to set prices for their products according to a country's specific economy. E.g. higher prices in USA, France, Germany, etc and lower in Russia, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, etc. :)

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Russian KIS 6 users are not very happy !

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That is really great. At least other AVs should offer 2 or 3 years updates rather than just a single year.
    And now a days I will say the licence should be for 2 machines( one PC and one laptop).
    Just my point of view.

14. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Kaspersky's prices are insane high for Russian customers. :gack: I don't understand how they came at such prices...

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So what about 3rd world countries where its cost may be equal to 25-50 % of the salary for an average worker. They must offer special prices in different regions of world.

16. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Here in Brazil, KAV and KIS version 6 will have the same prices of version 5.:D
    And KAV's price is cheaper than most of other AV companies here in Brazil.

17. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I agree to an extent but in my opinion ,av buisnesess (like others) charge as much as the customer is willing to pay.Generally this means that countries like the UK which hardly ever complain about anything ,usually pay through the nose for goods that are much cheaper on the continent or in the US where people tend to be more vocal and protest more.I had a laugh yesterday when the g/f came back from holiday in florida and mentioned that many americans were complaing about the price of petrol (gasoline) which was something like 3 dollars.In the Uk that would cost you around 7 dollars (if my calculations are correct).The thing about charging high amounts for an item is that when they then offer you a small discount you think your having a bargain .Maybe Mr Kasperskys looking to get rich quick and maybe buy a football team? ;)
    ellison

18. Howard Kaikow

Current definitions are not needed for OS that rarely connect to the internet, but program updates are needed.

Only 1 of my OS regularly conects to the internet.
    The others only when necessary to run Windows/Office Update, or an update of some particular software product.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, u are right. I misunderstood it initially. Without current definitions AV is pretty useless.

20. Howard Kaikow

AV definitions protect ONLY against known viri.

It is the heuristics that try to catch unknown viri that are part of the programs and have nothing to do with the AV definitions.

21. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Just install the AV on your PCs, most don't check for the machines that have it installed, and your home IP's are probably all of the same range. Kaspersky6 is the only one I have personally seen check how many machines it is installed on. (and close itself down any machines past 2)

I have VBA32 on 6 machines in my house right now. Frankly, I don't care what their license agreement says, I am not buying an AV for each machine, that would be ridiculously expensive.

22. Howard Kaikow

Ethics??

23. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

This is also called theft and you are hurting a small AV vendor and not one of the big ones!

6 licenses for VBA32 would only cost you $13 each and this becomes even cheaper with the 2-year option.

Most conscientious users opt for either free AV's, select family packs, or go for an AV with a license that covers multiple machines ( F-Prot for Windows) for their additional computers.

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

:thumb: Indeed it is. :(

IMHO yearly definition update renewals are to expensive, but it does not justify this behavior.

They should be a fraction of the cost of the initial product purchase. New improved versions justify a full price. Promos for exisiting users are nice too. :)

25. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi David,

Looks like Bubba closed your other thread just as I was posting.

I can empathize with regard to your family's confusion - but taking away the software firewall is not the answer. You family is going to have to learn to apply the most important weapon against the Internet nasties we are all subjected to every day - i.e. common sense. And if they refuse to learn, as you may well understand, you may well have to limit access until they learn the cost of not learning to use the tools that will keep them safe - and you computers up and running.

Look into DefenseWall, Sandboxie, RegDefend and Process Guard in addition to NOD32 and Kaspersky which you have already mentioned.

You family is just going to have to learn how not to be confused - and when they do - they will be a lot better of for it - and know what to do!

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.