Corrupted TrueCrypt File

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by aacs90, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aacs90

aacs90 Registered Member

Hi there, i recently came into a problem with my encrypted file and i need help. It looks like there are proffesionals in this forum that c ould be able to help me.

So i created a file in which i had a 10gb hidden volume where i'd store very important information from work and school. During the whole time i was using TC i never came into any troubles of any sort.

But just recently i decided to clean my computer and i backed up pretty much everything i needed and deleted what i didnt need anymore, but neglected to backup the TC file and instead i ended up deleting the file. I realized what i had done almost instantly so i downloaded RECUVA and i was able to recover the TC file. I thought it was all good afterwards but when i tried to mount the file with TC after recovering it with RECUVA now TC tells me: Incorrect password or not a TrueCrypt Volume.

Researching a bit in google i found out its common for the header of the file to get corrupted, but all the tutorials i found require me to mount the volume prior to fixing it. I am not able to mount the volume (file) at all but i am 100% my password is correct.

I do not have a backup of the file nor the volume header.

All i have is the 10gb file i was able to recover thru RECUVA. It has the same weight as it originally had.

I read about using WINHEX to fix the header of the file, but i am not sure how to go with it.

I would deeply appreciate any help i could get.

Thankx in advance

PD: i know there are a couple more posts about recovering or fixing a corrupt file in this forum, but i didnt get any of them to work for me.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Recuva isn't good at recovering a fragmented file. Especially a large one over 2GB. And that's what I fear has happened. You may have a file with the right filesize, but the contents could be mixed with other files.

3. aacs90

aacs90 Registered Member

So what do you suggest i should do? What software do you recommend? I dont want to use the partition i cleaned up yet in case i need to recover the file from it again. I read about using WinHex to fix the volume header, but i dont think it's possible if i'm unable to mount such volume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.