Corrupted Recovered Files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Striper, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Striper

Striper Registered Member

I am using Acronis 9.0 build 2,259. I am using a Maxtor One Touch external hard drive as the medium to back up on. I have been backing up for several months with no errors. Yesterday I tried to restore a file and found that it had corrupted the file. I program and my IDE gave me an error that a line of code was too long. When I scanned down the file I ran into the beginning of a string of little squares and no more valid text.

I tried deleting the back up on the external drive and did a full back up. I got the same problem with that file and when I tried other files I got similar errors. I checked with the site and saw that there was a more recent build but the web interfacem, when I go to the screen for updating tells me there are no updates.'

I also used the option to test the integrety of the back up and it said it "succeeded" after scanning it which I assume meant it was suppose to be ok.

You can imagine how upset I am about not having a reliable back up. I have sent a message to Acronis and am waiting for a response. I need to address this ASAP.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are you trying to recover files from a Files and Folders backup or are you mounting an image and extracting a file from the image?

There was an earlier thread about problems with excessively long path names probably greater than say, 256 characters. Look at this thread to see if it has any bearing on your situation:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=132551

3. Striper

Striper Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I am a professional programmer with a number of applications I work on simultaneously. The tools I use are quite complex and doing a resinstall is a real hassle.

To be safe, I do frequent full back ups using Acronis and given the speed I know that all my files are there should a disaster ocurr so I can quickly recover my development machine. It is unusual for me to need to recover a particular file. In fact in the four or five months I have been using Acronis, this is the first time I tried to restore an individual file.

I use Borland's Delphi for programming development. When you program in Delphi it creates two files. One contains the code and the other (if you are working with a windows form) is a special file that streams the forms information for creating it. Every one of these files that I have tried to restore is corrupted. On the other hand, when I restore a HLP file for example there appears to be no problem. I am wondering if there are some sort of characters in the program files I use that the compression logic used by Acronis does not like.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You're using a very old and buggy build of TI. You may want to try installing the latest build like 3567 or higher.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Wow, I missed that point, B2259 certainly is in the "not ready for prime time" group of builds.

If that doesn't fix it I would try doing a backup using the Rescue CD instead of Windows just in case there is a conflict with the Delphi files. If the app isn't running I wouldn't think there should be a problem though.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Striper,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please try to mount the image as a virtual drive and copy the needed files/folders. You can find more information on how to do that in Chapter 11. "Mounting an image as a virtual drive" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide.

If the issue persists with the latest build, please tell us the exact error message you have received when try to restore the files from the image archive. Please also explain your step-by-step actions which you took that led you to this error. Please also send us a screen shot of the error, if possible. Please also collect the log file from Acronis True Image 9.0 Home that contains the error message. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.