Corrupted Incrementals

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Phil B., Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil B.

Phil B. Registered Member

Hi,

I have been using TI since last July and this is the first time I have had a corrupted backup. In fact about a month ago it saved me because of a Registry file error. I was able to restore from the full backup and incrementals.

I am using TI 8.0 Build 937 utilizing an external USB 2 hard drive for storing the backups. Thursday night when I ran an incremental and and then tried to verify it showed as corrupt. I deleted the corrupted incremental and ran it again with the same results. After a reboot I did this 3 more times to no avail. I then uninstalled and reinstalled TI 8.0 Build 937. Ran the Incremental and it was corrupt when I tried to verify.

My hard drive has 5 partitions (C, F, G, H & I) so I backed up each partition separately and verified each one . This time everything was good. Today I ran a full backup of the hard drive which verified ok and I was able to explore each partition.

At the time of the corruption errors I had a full backup with 16 incrementals. Is there a limit on the number of incrementals?

Any help appreciated? Thanks.

Phil

Dell 4600
    2.8 GH
    XP home SP2
    1Gb memory
    120GB internal hard drive
    200GB USB 2 External hard drive

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

"At the time of the corruption errors I had a full backup with 16 incrementals. Is there a limit on the number of incrementals?"

I've had up to 18 without a problem.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Phil B.,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please note that the amount of incremental images is not limited in any way.

Please also note that independently of which volume (.tib file) of the image archive you have selected for the verification Acronis True Image recognizes all of them as the entire multivolume image archive (all volumes should reside in the same folder) and verifies the whole set.

The most porbable reason for the problem you encountered is that one of the images (either full or one of the incrementals) got corrupted. You can find out which of the images got corrupted by consequently placing the incrementals into another folder starting from the latest one. In this way you will be able to find the latest available restore point.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. Phil B.

[/QUOTE]

Please also note that independently of which volume (.tib file) of the image archive you have selected for the verification Acronis True Image recognizes all of them as the entire multivolume image archive (all volumes should reside in the same folder) and verifies the whole set.

The most porbable reason for the problem you encountered is that one of the images (either full or one of the incrementals) got corrupted. You can find out which of the images got corrupted by consequently placing the incrementals into another folder starting from the latest one. In this way you will be able to find the latest available restore point.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov[/QUOTE]

Alexey,

Does this mean TI verifies the full backup and all the incrementals every time I try to verify the last incremental made?

Phil B.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Phil,

Yes it does. An individual incremental on its own is worthless unless all associated previous incrementals and the full image are present and uncorrupted.

It's not unknown for files of any sort to become corrupted for one reason or another. Therefore, I would say TI's method of verifying an image makes sense. Halfway through a restore is not the time to find out that some part of the image has turned to garbage :eek: :cool:

Regards

6. Phil B.

Menorcamam,

Thanks for the response. It does make sense to check everything each time an incremental is verified.

Phil B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.