Corrupted Image - Suggested Enhancement

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tachyon42, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I suspect that most (maybe all?) of corrupted image problems with TI are due to intermittently faulty or badly designed hardware and its associated drivers.
    I know that errors in RAM, cabling or faulty controller hardware/software can sometimes cause data corruption without any symptoms at the time of writing to disk.
    This can explain why TI can apparently execute successfully yet can then fail verification.
    I have such problems on one computer yet when I move the disk to another computer I can create and verify a .tib file successfully. Sometimes a .tib created on the first computer will not verify on that computer yet will verify successfully on the second computer.
    After considerable investigation I have still not been able to resolve the issue.

I would like to see Acronis implement an additional verification mode (which by default is off for performance reasons but can be turned on at run time for diagnostic purposes). This verification should be interleaved with the .tib creation. That is, as soon as data is written to disk then all cache should be flushed and the data re-read. The re-read data should be matched with the original data that TI was writing to disk. These should be identical, if not then some corruption has occurred. At this point the .tib creation should fail and detailed error logging should report the nature of the error together with complete data dump of the sectors involved(original and corrupted). The way in which the sectors are corrupted (bit flip, wrong sector data, etc) might hopefully help to identify the cause. Maybe even an obscure bug in TI?

If a .tib image file can be created successfully using this interleaved verification mode then the .tib must be valid.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tachyon42, .

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Your collaboration on this matter is very much appreciated. I've forwarded your suggestion to our Development Team. It will certainly be considered and probably implemented in the future versions of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.