"Corrupted" Image in Seagate DiscWizard

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Sorkaa, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorkaa

Sorkaa Registered Member

I made a full image backup of drive C, saved as a .tib file on drive D, using the Seagate DiscWizard ( Version 10, Build 5018 ). I then validated the image and encountered no errors.

Now when I try to use this file to restore drive C, it says the image is corrupted. I also get the same message at the end of the validation process. However, I am able to explore and mount the image with no problems, which leads me to believe there's nothing wrong with it.

Is there any way to convince the DiscWizard that there's nothing wrong with this image and use it to restore drive C?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The image may or may not be bad.

Restoring an image or validating it means reading the archive and reconstructing the 4000 checksum/GB and comparing them to the ones stored in the archive when it was created. If only one bit is bad then the process fails. The image mounting process to extract selected files does not use this stringent test.

Can you validate the archive with the TI rescue CD? This environment is Linux and it must work properly on your PC to restore an image. A validation done in Windows may work but the Linux one may not if it doesn't handle your hardware properly.

You can also try this:

II. Problems with Acronis bootable rescue media or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

Please try the following workaround:

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears. After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, please modify it in the following way:

quiet acpi=off noapic

click on the OK button then and choose "Full Version". That should allow you to use Acronis True Image in some special cases​

Anything that will cause the archive to be improperly read into RAM will cause the validate or restore to fail. Bad RAM is a possibility and it can be checked by running Memtest86+ available free from www.memtest.org . It is best to let it run for at least several passes and overnight is preferred.

Other causes are bad sector in the area containing the archive, bad disk cable, overclocked system or too aggressive memory timings. In short, almost anything.

3. Sorkaa

Sorkaa Registered Member

Hmm..I don't have a rescue CD, and I haven't overclocked the system or done anything to the memory timings. I will check the RAM and try moving the image to a different drive, though. Thanks!

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Sorkaa,

Thank you for taking time to contact us.

If the solutions provided by seekforever don't help, please see the article Troubleshooting Issues with Corrupt Backups for a further troubleshooting.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.