Corrupt TIB file

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LittleMonkey, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleMonkey

LittleMonkey Registered Member

I went to restore my Dell laptop today and discovered that parts of my TIB backup file are corrupt. I was able to explore the TIB and copy most of My Documents. The odd file (maybe 20) were corrupt and could not be copied. Mostly jpg camera photos.

My question is, can I restore the TIB file and tell Acronis to skip corrupt files? It just seems like there's only a few bad files within the TIB file. I'd hate to start over with my laptop. Needless to say, my confidence in Acronis has been somewhat shattered. I thought this was going to be a no brainer.

Help!

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There is no way to tell TI to skip bad areas in an image file.

There is a reason your file is corrupted and you should find out what it is.

First steps would be to run chkdsk with the following syntax: chkdsk X: /r substitute the drive letter of the partition being checked for X. Reboot necessary to do C. Do this on ALL your partitions on both the source and destination disks.

If that turns up no problem, check your memory. A free memory diagnostic is memtest86+ V1.7 available free from www.memtest.org
    Let the memory diagnostic run for a couple hours minimum and preferrable overnight.

There might be a conflict with some software running although this is not a common problem. Try making and validating an image using the TI rescue CD. This makes the image using a Linux environment so Windows is not running and using the disk being imaged.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

1. What type of backup did you make? (File backup or drive image?)

2. Where did you save the backup? (USB drive, second partition?)

3. Did you verify the backup successfully?

4. What version and build of TI did you use to make the backup?

5. How did you start the Restore process? (From within Windows or from a Recovery CD? If from Windows, what version/build of TI is installed? If CD, What version/build of TI was the CD created with?

6. Did you try to do the Restore and have it stop with an error message that the archive was corrupt?

This information may allow one of us to provide additional help.

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

The files are not necessarily corrupt.
    See discussion here, program not yet released.

5. Howard Kaikow

You can test whether each file is corrupt by using TI to mount the relevant volumes from the archive, then try to read each file using ReadFile.

In the program:
    1. Set a large buffer size.
    2. Check BOTH options.

If that works, rerun the program, but uncheck the bypass errors option.

6. LittleMonkey

LittleMonkey Registered Member

1. What type of backup did you make? (File backup or drive image?)
    - drive image. i believe there were three partions. Dell often includes the PC restore partition

2. Where did you save the backup? (USB drive, second partition?)
    - removed the 80GB SATA2 drive from my laptop and stuck it in my desktop computer
    - backed it up to my USB hard drive

3. Did you verify the backup successfully?
    - I did not have it verified when I backed it up

4. What version and build of TI did you use to make the backup?
    - Version 10 (build 4942)

5. How did you start the Restore process? (From within Windows or from a Recovery CD? If from Windows, what version/build of TI is installed? If CD, What version/build of TI was the CD created with?
    - from within Windows but as mentioned above, the laptop drive was in my desktop

6. Did you try to do the Restore and have it stop with an error message that the archive was corrupt?
    - yes

7. 1ondon

1ondon Registered Member

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Sometimes, you can make a valid backup file, and it will validate when checked form within windows but not when validate or restore is run from the boot cd.

This is due to a hardware driver problem with OS on the boot cd. I have a friend who got clobbered with this when he needed to restore his laptop. The newer ATI worked for him. To check, after making a backup, he booted from the CD and ran a validation.

The ultimate test is to do an actual restore, which requires a spare disk mounted in palce of your regular system drive (well, unless you are terribly trusting in luck and computers ;-) )

9. Howard Kaikow

Read it and find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.