corrupt partitions

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by roger dovey, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger dovey

roger dovey Registered Member

i'm new to this and a novice on a pc. i have a laptop running windows xp home sp2. It froze the other day and after about 10 mins it shut itself down.when i restarted it got to the point where windows xp home idition comes on screen and then went blank for a few seconds. then it came up with loads of info about a power failler,windows shut down wrong and loads of other reasons. at the bottom it asked how i wanted windows to start ie: in safe mode , safe mode with networking, and two other start up modes i cant remember. i tried all start up modes only to come back to the same screen as all the options of start up modes. i took laptop to be sorted and they said it had corrupt partitions, whitch set me back £50. what does this meen and could someone tell me if this is something i could repair myself. why did this fault happen? any answers help would be great as i cannot afford to many £50's. o_O :ouch:

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Roger, Welcome to Wilder's!

Could you tell us a bit more about this pc of your's .... how old it is, was it purchased new, second-hand, what disk's if any you may have for it. Are you able to boot up in safe mode without issue's? This would allow us to take a closer look at the installed hardware. These for now please, thank's.

Edit: I'll pass on the op's motive for choosing to {{{remove two previous post's}}}, instead stating the issue turned out to be a small shard of metal lodged inside the laptop's usb phone jack, in effect shorting out the boot process. This came as a suggested possibility by one 'PBtechie' from over on the pb/uk forum's. Once cleared, functionality was restored.

Steve

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.