Corrupt MFT

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stoggers, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoggers

stoggers Registered Member

Hi,

Just discovered that the MFT on my boot partition is corrupt.

As it is only discovered whenI try to run chkdsk I think all my backup images were taken while it was corrupt.

Could anyone confirm whether True Image will just restore the corrupt MFT.

Thanks,

Stoggers.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Since the MFT is just another bunch of "in-use" sectors as far as an imaging program goes then I would say it has been incorporated into all the images as is.

Your experience points out what I have thought about from time-to-time: good idea to run chkdsk before making an image every now and then so you have something fairly recent to fall back on if things like this happen.

3. rharris270

rharris270 Registered Member

As the previous reply stated, True Image will copy/restore all files, including the MFT.

But, do not give up hope. Consider that the MFT on a image **might** not be corrupt, or might only have minor errors. If so, after you restore the image, running CHKDSK C: /R (then reboot) **may** fix the MFT problem(s). What have you got to lose?

That siad, I agree with the concept of running CHKDSK before making an image. It is also a good idea to run CHKDSK before defragging.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I'll drink to that too!

Many years ago in my system manager days we would always check the disk integrity and backup before defragging. One of my biggest shocks entering the PC world was the recommendation to do the defrag first before the backup so it would run faster.

I had bought the backup so I could safely defrag my PC!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.