Corrupt mail attachments - still

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Feijoa, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feijoa

Feijoa Registered Member

Hi all :

I thought (my comment in an earlier post) that I had solved the problem of corrupt email attachments. To recap - since I upgraded to Eset Nod32 anti-virus v 4, I noticed email attachments arriving corrupted - whether this be image files, PDF, or doc files.

I tried a few things - I disabled email scanning in Zone Alarm Pro, no difference. I disabled email scanning in Nod32 and mail attachments arrive fine.

However, although I disable email scanning in the advanced set-up of Eset (and the orange warning icon appears in the system tray - not a prob as ZAP is scanning mail anyway) - Eset reverts back to mail scanning whenever I boot my computer. I would like to disable this permanently until a fix comes out - if indeed Eset v4 does need a fix for this.

Would anybody have an idea as to how I can make Eset understand that I want email scanning permanently disabled ?

ps wrote to Eset asking if this happens to be a bug, but no response as yet.

Thanks !

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are you positive that the problem persists with ZAP uninstalled?

3. Feijoa

Feijoa Registered Member

Thanks for your reply :)

Yes, I'm positive this does not concern ZAP, as until recently I had no probem with corrupt mail attachments - have been using ZAP since forever, and Eset for a couple of years. This has happened only since my recent upgrade to v4 of NOD.

However, I may have found a fix - so far working. I went into the advanced setup of NOD - "e-mail client protection" - I un-checked "email to scan" and then I went into POP 3 - "compatability" - and I set this to "maximum compatability". Mail attachments arriving since I have done this, are okay.

Actually, I just discovered this fix (and hopefully it might be The fix ...) on the Zone Alarm forum, as somebody else was having the same problem. I shall know for sure as time goes by and further attachments arrive :)

4. Quality1

Quality1 Registered Member

I've been having the same problems with receiving corrupt email attachments while having Nod32 Antivirus v4 and ZoneAlarm Pro installed on Vista 64 bit SP1 (now SP2).

My email client is Outlook 2007.

As much as I hated having to do it, I uninstalled Nod32 v4.0.437.0 and installed version 3 and voila !! Fixed !! No more corrupt email attachments.
    And that's leaving the default settings alone too, meaning, you can leave the Pop3 Compatibility Setup at "Maximum efficiency". :)

I suggest you try the same as I did and confirm that it works for you too. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

IMHO There seems to be just too many weird issues going on with version 4.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Exactly. That would just confirm that ZAP is having issues with WPF on Vista when another application utilizing WPF is installed. We'll check it out to make sure.

6. Quality1

Quality1 Registered Member

FIXED... FINALLY !!

ZoneAlarm Pro v8 was the culprit.

They have now fixed the problem in version 9.0.114.000

You can now set NOD32 v4's Pop3 Compatibility Setup at "Maximum efficiency".

I have proved it.

Just a side note, don't install ZoneAlarm Pro v9.0.114.000's additional install option "Explorer Toolbar" if you are running Daemon Tools. It crashes Daemon Tools at boot up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.