Corrupt Images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by asminc, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asminc

asminc Registered Member

Hi all,
    I just purchased TI 8 build 791 and wanted to backup my ASUS laptop's hard drive.

ASUS laptop- 1.7 centrino-1 GB ram- DVD burner- 60GB Toshiba HD which has 2 partitions C: 45GB and D: 11GB and a 60GB USB HD that I want to use for backup.

Everytime I create a TI backup imageto the USB HD, it checks out corrupt. When I backup the C drive to the D drive the image is perfect. If I try to copy the good image from the D drive to the USB backup drive, the image is now corrupt.

I uninstalled the TI program and D/L a fresh copy from the Acronis Website and did a fresh install but it did not fix the problem.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem.

Thanks for you time,
    Stan

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Stan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please download and launch the following tool:
    http://download.acronis.com/support/md5sum.exe
    Please click on the upper right button (marked with "...") and choose the healthy image. Please save the number in the "MD5" string. After that please save the same string for the copied image (which was reported as corrupted). Then please compare these numbers and let us know whether they match or not. If they do not it seems that the problem is with your hardware because it appears when you transfer the file to another device.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. basje1

basje1 Registered Member

It seemed to by a bigger problem,
    I have the same problem with my iriver h120
    It is a 20 gig mp3 player based on a toshiba 1.8 inche maindrive
    I am already working it out with the support department to solve the problem,
    but becouse you and i are not the only one with problems to make a image to a USB 2.0 externel drive it seems to there is a problem with the USB 2.0 driver or the support for it .
    I hope Acronis wil resolve this problem in there next update cycle for version 8
    to be exactly I'm using versin 8.0 build 791.

Greeting,
    Bas de Rijck

P.S. My support number is Acronis #191645

4. asminc

asminc Registered Member

Ilya,

Thanks for the reply.
    I had discarded the original copy but I recopied the good image file from the D partition to the USB drive. I ran the hash program and received this output

D drive C5B83CB8978E707312BE35D99EC43832
    USB Copy D2966B75001575C26898D814EC299184

they are different.

I also received a email from Ivan in tech support and he asked me to try a different USB port to create a new Image file- I tried all 4 ports and all 4 new images were corrupt. He asked me to copy to a different USB hard drive but I do not have another USB hard drive. So for now I have a nice backup software and hard drive but both are useless.

Thanks for your time,
    Stan

5. archie22

archie22 Registered Member

6. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

If you're running Windows XP, try this test and see what happens. Use NTBackup (provided with XP) and do a full backup and verify to an internal HD and then again to an external USB HD. Does it verify correctly? I just suggest as another way to see if the problem is somewhere else not with TI.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Please note that we investigate the "corrupted image" problem separately in each case. However often the problem is in the connection quality. If the MD5 sums described above do not match (for example, in Stan's case) it is very likely that the problem is not with Acronis True Image but with the data transfer. The hardware issue may not show up when you deal with small files.

Briefly the reasons for the image to become corrupted are very different and the best way is to describe your particular situation in the letter to support@acronis.com for our Development Team could investigate it thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.