Corrupt Image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wchull, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wchull

wchull Registered Member

I just purchased True Image 8 today and according the the program the backup was successful to my CD burner. I want back and tried to verify the backup set but on disk 4 of 22 the progam reported a read error. I noted no option to retry and I didn't want to go back and try re-verifying again if the backup was junk.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Wow! You made a 22 CD backup and went through the verification process. That's dedication. I give up on CDs when the backup takes more than 5. I just don't have the patience, and the probability of one bad CD ruining the whole backup is larger than I want to risk.

I would use the CD checking provide by the software you use to burn other CDs (Roxio, Nero, etc.) and see if it reports an error on that CD. If it does, your backup is bad. If not, all I can suggest is another attempt at verification. You might minimize the background operations while checking to see if that helps.

A DVD writer would reduce your backup to 4 disks which is better but still a lot. An external USB 2 or Firewire hard drive would be the fastest and most convenient.

3. wchull

wchull Registered Member

John,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what happened with my image. I did try and burn it at a higher compression ratio than the default and trying to burn at higher compression was a problem for DriveImage as well.

I went back and burned a second image and it verified OK so I'm assuming that I have a good, safe backup.

After reading the manual I was a bit disappointed that True Image 8 image files cannot be opened for an restore of an individual file. I was planning on getting a DVD burner soon but I may opt for an external drive now also.

4. como

como Registered Member

To restore one file you will have to copy all the .tib files into one folder on your hard drive, then click on explore image after starting TI from within Windows

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Wchull,

Como is correct. You can restore individual files or folders from TI images, but all the parts of the image must be available at the same time. As Como said, you would have to copy each of the CDs back to a hard drive and then you could open the image to restore individual files or folders.

An external hard drive is the best way to go unless you have lots of free internal hard drive space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.