Corrupt Image on DVD-R when booted from TrueImage 8 (build 937) Boot CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sdrake, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdrake

sdrake Registered Member

I get corrupt image errors when booted from the Boot CD (TI 8 build 937) and checking or restoring my image. Image size is 1.5gb and was saved to a network computer and then written to dvd-r using roxio drag to disc (udf, etc. etc.). While still booted from the Boot CD, I am able to run Check Image against the original image that resides on a network hard drive, without error. Also, I can take this same DVD containing the "corrupt image" and verify this image on a windows box running TI 8 build 937. I am able to restore this image (residing on the network drive) without error but I don't want to - I want to store my image on DVD and restore from it.
    I see lots of forum activity with this problem. I originally had it 6 months ago and waited for it to get fixed. In the meantime TI 9 is out and it seems to have the same problem.
    I've tried Roxio Drag-to-Disc v7.1.0.183 and v6.1.1.18. I've also tried Nero 6.3.1.25. The dvd's are always created successfully, and TI 8.0 running on windows confirms this....yet TI 8.0 booted from CD is unable to ever verify or restore this DVD image.
    The hardware that I backed up and am trying to restore to is a HP Proliant ML370-G4. I've tried turning off hyperthreading, acpi=off, noapic, and ide=nodma at boot. None of this helps. I've tried 3 different manufacturer DVD writers (all DL R/W capable) including Lite-On and Hitachi (both branded as HP) and a Sony DRU-700A. I supplied my system information earlier today when I reported corrupt images when saving them to a network drive. This was solved by saving the images to a different (faster) server. Now my images on the hard disk verify fine. I just can't use them from DVD. Any ideas that don't involve buying and testing TI 9 to discover the same problem?

2. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Apparently the linux drivers don't like your dvd hardware.
    You can test the trial Ti9 and see if it works, if not then supply Acronis with the hardware info and errors and see if they can come up with a driver for you.

3. sdrake

sdrake Registered Member

Does TI 9 also use the linux 2.4.30 kernel? Got a linux 2.6 kernel product?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sdrake,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis True Image doesn’t write to DVD directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software. The ability to write images to DVD directly will be implemented in the future builds/versions of a particular software but exact time frame is not decided yet.

Please be aware that DVD-R disks are not supported in Acronis True Image.
    We recommend you to use DVD-RW and DVD+R(W) discs instead.
    DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs can be formatted by any of the third-party UDF-packet DVD-writing applications, while DVD+R at this moment can be formatted only by Roxio Drag To Disc.

Please note that if you create an image set with the archive splitting size at 2 GB on a local hard disk drive and then copy the created image archives to DVDs, you should copy all the archives back to one folder to restore the image.

Please note also that once a full image is created as one consistent file it instantly becomes indivisible and in case it exceeds the limit of 4.7 GB (the maximum capacity of a DVD disc) you will not be able to divide it into parts and burn to DVDs. So when creating an image you should bear in mind where you want to store the image to.

However we would recommend you to set the archive splitting size manually if you are planning to transfer an image archive to DVD discs. The archive size should be set at 2 GB to avoid possible discrepancies when being restored later. This proviso relates to most of the modern DVD-writing software.

Please also read the information about writing to DVDs in our FAQ: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#20

Acronis True Image 9.0 uses Linux 2.4.31 kernel.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Tatyana,

I think you will find that there are a couple of errors in your reply.

Surely it's only necessary to copy the split image back to a single folder if you wish to plug (mount) the image?

The relevant FAQ has changed to http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#27.

Kind regards

6. sdrake

sdrake Registered Member

Tested OK once when writing to DVD+RW and once when using DVD+R. I will continue to use this media type in the future.

Now, my only unresolved issue is that when I create images and write them to a specific server, the server hangs - the server that is booted from the TI 8 boot cd simply stops responding and has to be powered off/on. I am trying to create images of a HP Ml370-G4 server and write them to a HP ML370-G2 running Windows 2000. The G4 server his an embedded broadcom gigabit nic, the g2 server has an embedded intel 100mbit NIC. I tried this with both servers attached to a SMC 10/100 switch, and a SMC 10/100/1000 switch. If I backup instead to a HP ML110-G1 server running XP (on the same switch), all backups compete successfully? Is there any way to trouble shoot this problem? Should this trouble be in it different thread? I'll try the TI 9 demo boot cd and report the results.

7. sdrake

sdrake Registered Member

I reported the good news too soon. My second DVD+R is no good. When I try to restore, I get "Corrupt Image" because it is "not the last created volume of the backup archive". It is the only archive - 1.6gb. The image verifies fine on the server - but the TDK DVD+R I burned using Roxio draq-to-disc fails. Are there specific instructions on how to respond to the Roxio prompts when ejecting the DVD - must the disk be finalized?

Also, with my hardware, trueimage is quite inconsistent. It took 10 attempts to create an image across the network due to two problems: either the server I was backing up locked up (acpi=off, ide=nodma, noapic, do not help), or network communications between the 2 servers stopped before the image was complete. Eventually it works, but this procedure is not reliable and can't be trusted. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I'm using ti 8 build 937 + 774 and a trial version of ti 9. They all do the same. The server I'm trying to backup is HP ML370-G4, 6402 scsi raid card, embedded bcm57xx nic.

8. Acronis Support

Hello sdrake,

First of all, we would highly appreciate if you will accept our apologies for our previous reply. The point is that in order to restore an image archive spanned over a several CDs\DVDs you do not need to copy all the files from all discs to a separate folder on the hard drive. As Menorcaman has mentioned above this only applies if you want to mount this image archive as a virtual drive by means of the embedded Explore Image tool (Plug Image tool for version 9.0). In case you want to restore\verify such an image archive you should insert the last created CD\DVD first (CD\DVD that contains the last volume of the image archive) and then follow the wizard's instructions.

As for the need to finalize the DVD during the burning process, please note that in case you use the so-called "two-step" method (see the above mentioned FAQ article #27) then it is recommended to finalize the discs. If you format your DVDs using some kind of a third party UDF packet DVD writing software and write to DVD directly then there is no need to finalize these discs.

If the problem still persists and your image archive still verifies as corrupted when the computer is booted from both Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 and Bootable Rescue CD created using the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please provide us with the following information:

- Can you confirm that the same image archive verifies fine when Acronis True Image is running from under Windows?

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 and create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Please note that since you use an older version of Acronis True Image you should press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and not when the selection screen appears (Bootable Rescue CD create using Acronis True Image 8.0 does not have any selection screen).

Please also note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

- Let us know the exact vendor and model of your DVD burner.

Can you please also do the following?

- Start command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);

- Go to \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord folder;

- Issue the "cdrecord –scanbus > scanbus.txt" command and send us the scanbus.txt file created.

Regarding the computer hag-up and networking problems, please do the following:

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button, choose "Full Version" and wait for # prompt to appear.

- Issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

- Write down the output after each of the commands or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens;

- Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Please also describe your network structure in more detail (hardware and software vendors and models).

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Your valuable remarks are very much appreciated. We will certainly take the appropriate measures so that such a gross mistakes will never take place again.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

10. sdrake

sdrake Registered Member

I see requests similiar to the one just made (get sysinfo.txt, give hardware and network details, etc.) take pictures and send them to us. There are plenty of records like that in this forum - but none of them contain any solutions. Are any of these Corrupt Image problems ever solved? If so, why aren't the solutions mentioned in the forum?

11. sdrake

sdrake Registered Member

I have submitted the information requested.

12. sdrake

sdrake Registered Member

submitted more information

13. sdrake

sdrake Registered Member

More troubles. By changing my network configuration and attaching my ml370g4 to a hub instead of the switch...I am able to create an image. Now I burn this image with Roxio Drag and Drop successfully to a DVD+R. On the Windows machine that burns the DVD, I run TI 8 and verify the image on the DVD successfully. Then I boot my ml370-g4 from the TI 8 Boot CD and try to restore this image, but I can't, because TI tells me that this image is corrupt - "not the last created volume of the image archive"

Why does the windows version of TI 8 verify the image, yet the linux version claims the image is corrupt?

14. Acronis Support

Hello sdrake,

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter, so I can track the correspondence?

If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

15. sdrake

sdrake Registered Member

[Acronis #491901] Trouble creating image, Trouble restoring image

16. sdrake

sdrake Registered Member

See alson Acronis #487668

17. sdrake

sdrake Registered Member

There's lots of discussion on this thread about multiple images, etc. I'm not doing any multiple images. I'm also not using TI to make DVD's. Here's what I'm trying to do.

I have a HP ML370-G4 server running Windows XP SP2 that I want to create an image of. I want to put this image on a DVD and use it to restore the server in the event of failure. If this happens, I plan to boot the server using the TI 8 Boot CD and then restore the image that's on my DVD.

To do this I have to perform the following steps:

1. Boot the ML370-G4 from the Boot CD and make an image. This image has to go somewhere, so in the interim I will put it on another Workgroup server.
    2. Now, I have to burn this image to a DVD+R (or DVD+RW) using some other piece of software - Roxio, Nero, etc. Since I'll probably burn the DVD where the image resides, the DVD drive I'll use is not going to be the one that's in the server I'm trying to image.
    3. To test that all this works, I need to boot the original server with the TI Boot CD and Restore my image.

So, here's the problem. I've encountered errors in all three steps:

Step 1 fails unless I recable my network and avoid certain servers that I cannot write images to - if I choose these, the server I am imaging locks up completely during the transfer and has to be turned off/on. Specifically, if 2 servers on are the same SMC Tiger switch, it doesn't work. But moving them to separate switches and/or hubs doesn't always work either. I have found one combination that works (G4 with gigabit nic on a 100mbit hub, the other on a switch) - and now I always use it. Also, half the time when I boot from the CD, DHCP works, the other half it doesn't and I have to manually specify a IP address. When DHCP works, I cannot see any of the servers in Workgroup. This is bad. When DHCP doesn't work and I have to manually enter an IP Address but at least I can see the servers I want to backup to just fine - as long as I wait 2-3 minutes and keep clicking Workgroup. Any ideas?

Step 2 is problematic because TI has undocumented (unless you count this forum) requirements for the use of DVD's and you have to figure out how to meet these requirements with your burning software and dvd drives. For me, two combinations work. First is a Sony DRU-700 writer using DVD+R media and Nero (dvd/udf, no multisession, udf 1.02, choke down write speed to 2.4x). Second, Roxio Drag-n-Drop to DVD+RW media using a Hitachi DVD8631, choosing to make the DVD readable anywhere (iso) and close the session (finalize) when trying to eject it. But, Roxio Drag-n-Drop and the Hitachi DVD8631 can't produce a working DVD+R (no matter what settings you try) that the TI Boot CD can verify or restore when run on a HP ML370G4 server. If you try, it will burn fine but when you try to use this DVD on a server booted from the TI Boot CD, the error you will see is that this 'is not the last archive in the volume' and you can just throw it out. You can put this coaster in your Windows machine and verify the image all day, but that won't help you restore it.

Step 3 fails when you successfully create a DVD+R without specifying the proper settings - since every software package has different names for the same thing, you have to guess. The settings that I know work are listed above. Another problem that occurs is that you can't restore an image to the entire drive if you just did it previously. When you try it the second time, you can't get past the selection to 'delete the existing partitions'. If you select yes, nothing happens and you can't go on. If you select 'no' you're done. The solution is not to restore the entire DRIVE, but to restore the PARTITION and then select ACTIVE when prompted. This is broke and should be fixed. I didn't try this with TI 9.

Hope this explanation helps.

18. Acronis Support

Hello sdrake,

I've reviewed the correspondence and found out that our support engineer Ivan Belinsky is currently working on your issue. Please answer Ivan's questions and he will provide you with the further instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.