Corrupt backup that isn't!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Pistolpete, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pistolpete

Pistolpete Registered Member

My C Drive has got errors, so I have replaced it.

I inserted the Acronis CD with Media Loader and tried to restore but it said the backup was corrupt.

As my old C Drive is still working, I tried another backup. Same issue.

I then tried to validate the backup using the full software on my old hard drive - it is quite happy that the backup is valid.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem seems to be one of three things
    1. The Media Loader is the problem (I am using TI 10)
    2. The Media Loader doesn't like the fact that it is a new hard disk (can't imagine why)
    3. The Media Loader doesn't like the fact that my new Hard Disk is larger. I don't think that this is the problem
    - I haven't tried to change anything to use the extra space
    - It's saying the backup is corrupt and not the destination.

I would upgrade if I knew that the newer versions corrected a known problem, but for now I am stuck.

Can anyone suggest a solution. The only one I can thing off is to try and load my full software into the pre-OS section in my new drive, but I don't know how easy this will be.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The TI rescue CD is a Linux environment and it is quite likely that the drivers aren't a good fit for your hardware. Download the trial version of TI2009 and create the rescue CD which will let you restore but not create and image when running from the CD.

The TI2009 is a different Linux implementation and it seems to have less driver issue problems.

The corrupt archive message really means that TI can't read your archive into memory and recalculate all the checksums properly. Another possible reason is a bad RAM location but this is less likely since you can validate using Windows. Doesn't totally remove the possibility since the memory mapping is not the same between the two environments.

3. Pistolpete

Thanks for quick response. Guess that will be first thing to try tonight.

crossed fingers

4. Pistolpete

I'm up and running again (this is from the PC).

I did what you suggested and install the trial TI9. As this was on the old Disk, I was able to also attach the new disk and use disk cloning to copy it over. Didn't even have to use backup/restore. Thanks for the idea. I'd better buy the full version and get my backups up-to-date and recover disk sorted.

I owe you a beer or two

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Glad it worked out for you.

Just to cover the bases, if you haven't done so already, I would boot up the TI2009 CD and do a test validation with it. You could validate one of your TI10 archives or make a new one with the Windows version of the TI2009 trial and validate it with the CD.

If you can do this, you are pretty sure that it will work for you when you really need it. I should mention that the absolute best test is to do a compete restore to a spare HD and then boot up the restored HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.