Corrupt archive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Koons, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koons

Koons Registered Member

I've got Acronis TI Workstation Management Console version 9.1 build 3,887 running on a Windows XP Professional PC. Everytime I run a full backup, it completes it and then during the validation, I get an error message saying:

|The archive is corrupted: None

Operation with partition "0-0" was terminated.
    Details:
    Image corrupted (0x70020)
    Tag = 0x82DB9339B70C3AFC

Anyone have any clues? Could it be a hardware issue?

Thanks in advance.

2. Koons

Koons Registered Member

I was just able to run an Incremental backup without any problems. I'm going to attempt another Full one.

3. Koons

Koons Registered Member

Well, the Full backup completed successfully. Isn't that just the darnedest thing.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It can be a hardware problem. Intgerpret the "archive is corrupt" message to mean "TI cannot read the archive and successfully recreate the checksums". Anything that can cause this is a possible reason. Apart from a software problem, bad media where the archive is stored, faulty data transfer systems including cables, bad RAM locations receiving the data, etc can cause this. When TI validates and archive it reads the archive and recreates the checksums that were included when the archive was written. There are 4000 checksums per GB of data and every recalculated checksum must match its stored value.

It is a process of elimination so you can run chkdsk X: /r on all your HD partitions, especially the partitions storing the archive if appropriate. Substitute X with the drive letter of the partition being tested.

Check the RAM by running Memtest86+ available free from www.memtest.org (note the .org). Let it run for several passes minimum, overnight is best. It seems you may have a marginal problem so it won't show up as easily as a hard fault.

If your machine shows voltage values in the BIOS, go into the BIOS and check them.

You can rule out some Windows conflicts by backing up and validating with the TI rescue CD. However, this is not a common problem but like I said, it is a process of elimination. It is always a good idea to ensure your CD can validate an archive because the CD Linux version is the version that must run to restore the active partition, typically C. The Linux implementation can be problematic with some hardware.

5. Koons

Koons Registered Member

Thanks for the input seek. It is appreciated.

The thing that makes it tough, is that the PC backup is stored on a server that has about 100 other computers tied through it. And of course I'm at a remote location too. Everything else at the site is working fine. Hopefully this isn't a sign that our server could be going up.

Thanks again. I will definitely take everything you said into consideration and will probably try and do some maintenance and tests on that server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.