corropt image. T9 lastest build

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lodore, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, today i made a new image backup full and the verification process told me the image was corrupt. i will post a screenshot. Idont if this means to whole image is corrupt or if its one file?
    Thats one improvement i would like in true image is what is corrupt if its the whole image tell me and if its just one jpeg file tell me so I dont get worried for no reason.
    I did read once that someone checked there image once and said it was corrupt but they checked it again and it said it was fine.
    i just wanted to check because a corrupt backup is useless!
    Thanks in advance
    lodore

Attached Files:

• T9.JPG
      T9.JPG
      File size:
      103.4 KB
      Views:
  2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello lodore,

If a disk/partition image is reported as corrupt, it can't be restored, but sometimes it can be mounted and most of the files copied from the virtual drive.

If that happens often to you and you are imaging directly to DVDs, try imaging to HD, maybe copying the images to DVD in a second step. Also try to perform the validation separately, especially with DVDs.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I imaged to my external usb harddrive. and this happerned with my last image as well. I had high compression set on both these images.
    but the image before that had normal compresstion reported fine.
    should i try checking the image again via the button in the main program?
    lodore

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Yes, no harm in trying to validate again, though I think it's very probable high compression to be the culprit and it should be avoided in your case.

High compression isn't seen frequently on this forum so I can't tell whether it's inherently more error prone or not. But it may be stressing the memory more than the default Normal compression is. I would therefore suggest you run Memtest86+ overnight. It should report zero errors. If you get some errors, but normal compression works fine nonetheless, you should still replace the RAM as you may run into corrupted restores later on. And that would be quite another pain level.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have never had any ram problems.

btw i should note that i had all my security software is on during the backup but did also when i created the successful backup a while ago.

i think i will change the options to normal compression and create a new image.
    i have emailed acronis support and i hope they can help me out because i dont like the fact that my backup image is corropt.

I have noticed the options in Acronis options saying add Acronis one click restore on media what does this mean?
    and how would I activate it if i wanted to use that option to restore it?

also if you check my screenshot you will notice the older dates having succesful image created and no red cross but the later ones have errors.
    all the ones with high compression are the later ones with red cross.
    the problem i have is my external harddrive is 100gb and i have to delete the current image to create a new one.
    lodore
    lodore

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  6. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Some USB external disk enclosures use chipsets which are not reliable, particularly when copying large files.
    Test by using Windows to copy a large multi GB file (say a tib file) from internal hard disk to the USB drive then do a checksum on both the original and copied file. If different then the USB drive is probably at fault (assuming memory tests OK). Try using a USB drive which has the NEC chipset (probably the best).

7. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Try the memory test anyway - sometimes problems only occur under certain stress conditions.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I use a maxtor one touch III and if you look at my screenshot my first images where fine and it seems when i enabled high compression my images have errors.
    so tomorrow i will create a new full image with normal compression check it and see if it passes and report back wish me luck.

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

lodore,

We have seen cases here when True Image was the first application to expose bad memory while even the wildest games did not. And Memtest86+ confirmed that. There is nothing to loose by giving it a run. High compression isn't failing without reason IMO.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I will create a new image tomorrow with normal compression first so i know i have a working backup in case anything happerns to my pc then i might run it after.
    lodore

11. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Could also be the external drive, yes. To verify that, you should be able to store an image to an internal drive and see if it makes any difference. You may even store the image on C: itself, space permitting.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if you look at my screen shot you will notice the first few images worked fine aka the ones without high compression and all images worked and not worked where backup to same hard drive.
    I have run diagnostic's on my external hard drive and it passed with no errors.
    so high compression seems to be my problem but I dont know why.
    i want to make my successful image with normal compression first so i have a backup image that works i think you can understand that.
    lodore

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

"so high compression seems to be my problem but I dont know why."

That's exactly the reason for the tests I proposed - for you to find why. Didn't mean you should perform them this minute, I was just listing them now having the opportunity to do so. I can and do understand perfectly well that obtaining a working image (by any means) is your first concern. I wish normal compression does it again for you.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I hope so as well if not i might have to unplug my router and disable my secuirty software which i dont really wanna do.
    lodore

15. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

bvolk is right when he says that TI exposes memory problems that are not either triggered or noticed during normal PC operation. A bad bit in a jpeg or mpeg data may be totally unnoticeable whereas a single bad bit in a multi-gigabyte archive validation calculation will cause it to be declared corrupt.

Your system should not be over-clocked or run with too aggressive memory timings. If they have been set aggressively try putting them back to SPD.

The problem that some external USB drives exhibit are with very large files such as images - they do not transfer correctly. Again, often unnoticed in regular operation. However, since your Normal compression files are OK this is unlikely to be the problem.

The High compression causes more work to be done by your CPU. This perhaps could cause various problems. In any case, I avoid High compression because it runs a bit slower and it doesn't do much to reduce the archive size further. Also, the Normal compression being the default means that it is likely to have been better checked out.

If you want to rule out the effects of your Windows AV etc software running, bootup the TI Rescue CD and create/validate the archive with it. If it works on High then it may be what is running within Windows during your TI operations. The TI rescue environment is Linux so you have a different set of drivers and memory mapping so it is impossible to definitively say that Windows services etc are the problem.

If you haven't done so, you should ensure you can at least validate an archive with the Rescue CD because this is what you have to do if your drive goes bad.

You can also try disabling each of the Windows running programs one at a time to see if a culprit turns up.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi today I done a full backup with normal compression and it completed succesfully!
    hopfully acronis can help me out with the high compression problem.
    lodore

17. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Try a High compression from the rescue disk. If it works, it shows the algorithm is not a problem and may rule out any interaction with Windows apps like antivirus software etc.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

seems you where right i do have a ram problem.
    I got a memory read error when opening a squared the other day and today got a memory error when i finished my theory test when i clicked the finish button.
    annoyingly i could see what i got wrong and why i got it wrong so i get it right next time because thats when the memory read error came up.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.