Correct order to restore Backup.tib files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DavidNW, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidNW

DavidNW Registered Member

Hello, Everyone.

I'm trying TI version 8.0 on a trial basis. I have used a 4.7 GB DVD+RW disk as my backup media. TI has has split the backup archive file into 2 files; Backup1.tib & Backup2.tib to backup my entire Hard Drive (OS included).

In the event of a PC crash; which order do I have to restore these files via the "Restore" option icon of TI's user interface. I have looked in the help files, but the information regarding this is in rather short supply.

If I do purchase the software, I'll of course, upgrade to the lastest version of TI - just came across version 8.0 whilst browsing the net & downloaded it - only later to find there's an updated version.

Any help, as always. would be fully appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Dave,

First thing to note is that TI refers to each .tib file as a "Volume". For images spanned across multiple CDs or DVDs you need to insert the disk containing the last Volume first and then follow TIs prompts for subsequent Volume changes. As you only have one .tib file (Volume) per disk, you should end up having to insert disk 2, then disk 1 and finally disk 2 again. Hope that all makes sense o_O :).

Regards

3. DavidNW

Yes, I think I get the gist of it now. I have my backed up my entire Hard Drive to 1 RW DVD. T1 automatically split the backup into 2 image archive files: Backup1.tib & Backup2.tib. So, I'm assuming, I just insert the DVD; select Backup2.tib in "Restore Image", followed by Backup1.tib, if prompted by T1 to do so.

When I select Backup1.tib in Restore Image, T1 reads Backup1.tib 'No description is available for this image archive', then gives the time & date the file was created. Then, when I select Backup2.tib;T1 reads:this volume 2 of multifile archive MyBackup.tib & also the time and date the file was created. So, just to clarify, do I start the restore process with Backup2?

I have heard (since) that T1 will automatically recognise both .tib files as part of a set, and that clicking on one or the other in the restore procedure will facilitate the whole restore operation.

Many thanks for your help; very informative.

Dave.

4. Menorcaman

Hi again Dave,

Sorry for the slight mix up - I thought you had one .tib file on each of 2 DVDs.

Did you image "direct" from TI to a UDF packet writing preformatted DVD or via the "two-step" method? The reason I ask is that I'm wondering why TI has split the image into two chunks when they both fit onto one DVD. When imaging "direct" to DVD there is no need to select a manual split size as TI will automatically prompt for another UDF preformatted DVD when the first one is full.

Regards

5. DavidNW

Hi, Menorcaman.

Thanks for your reply & apologies for not responding sooner, but I have just returned from a 2 week holiday.

Just to recap - when I created the backup I used just one 4.7GB DVD RW disk. The size of my entire HD was: 6.569GB, so I'm assuming that TI compressed the the backup file into 2 .tib files (Backup1.tib & Backup2.tib) so that it would fit on the DVD disk, as the abovementioned HD size would have obviousely not fitted onto the one 4.7GB DVD RW disk.

All I did in TI, was to click on the "Create Image" icon & let it do the rest. I did image direct from TI to a UDF packet (In CD, Nero 6.0) writing preformatted DVD and did not used the "two-step" method.

I hope that this explains things. I have heard that to restore the 2 files created by TI, all I have to do is select one of them via the "Restore Image" icon, as TI will recognise thet they are part of a set, and therefore start and finish the restore process automatically. I don't know if this is true or not.

I'm thinking of buying an external HD to write an image of my HD to, and then try a restore to that drive to see if it works.

Best regards,

Dave.

6. Menorcaman

Hi Dave,

Yes, you are correct. Just select any one of the .tib files and TI will do the rest. However, before undertaking an actual restore, I recommend that you boot from the Acronis rescue CD and use the Check Archive Wizard to verify the image (again, just select any one of the .tib files and TI will verify the whole image in one go). Partway through a restore is not the time to find out that the image is corrupt as, by then, your destination partition(s) will have been deleted :cool:.

I've answered via your PM but have repeated it here for the benefit of other users.

Regards

7. DavidNW

Thanks, Tom.

You have made things a lot clearer.

Best wishes,

Dave.

8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Do not buy tI 9 based on a demo of TI 8.

You need to try the demo of TI 9 to make sure that it works on your system and that you can use the recovery prtocess to access your backup media.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DavidNW,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would like to confirm that Menorcaman is right. If the image archive is splitted into several files than you can select any of this file to start restore process. Also if your archive spans several CD/DVD discs, you will need to insert the last CD/DVD first and then follow instructions of the Restore Data Wizard.

Please also note that when you create images to DVDs not storing them to hard disk first the image will be split into 2GB parts. This is made because 2GB is the maximum file size supported by ISO9660 and some burning applications do not allow you to burn bigger files. If you can burn 4GB file to the DVD you may not split the image file into 2GB parts.

We may also recommend that you download Acronis True Image 9.0 trial version in order to check how the product works.

The limitations of Acronis True Image 9.0 trial version is that you can only restore an image when you run the program from the bootable media. It is fully functional in Windows. The trial version evaluation period is 15 days.

If you would like to order your software before the trial period ends, please visit the Acronis online store.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.