Corporate AVs?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cdr478s, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdr478s

cdr478s Registered Member

I am not finding many opinions/reviews on corporate AVs out there. I am especially interested in Nod32 Enterprise, Kaspersky Business Optimal, and F-Secure Small Business Suite. Can anyone give any links to recent reviews or possibly give their input on any of these? I would like something that can be centrally managed, but not be a resource hog on the desktops like Norton. Thanks for any input

2. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

your best choice would be nod or kaspersky i would stay away from mcafee or norton

3. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

but if you want a cheap antivirus with good protection etrust would be also a good choice its a popular choice for business and companys these days

4. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

NOD I would say would be the least resource hungry.

But seeing as to how this is a corporate enviroment, I think one of the factors that cdr might be looking for may be the ease of deployment and how well the central management will be. A good antivirus is as good as long as it is managed properly. But as we know, in the corporate enviroment, the workers will not bother with little details such as computer security. :T

Perhaps one of the IT people here can tell us something about the central management. Though I believe all three are approximately the same in this regard.

5. bathisland

bathisland Registered Member

One of the best (rather the best) corporate AVs that i have come across is Mcafee Enterprise version. It is a very good AV, very light on resources and nothing like the commercial Mcafee crap. It is highly recommended.

6. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

One more solution is Dr.Web Enterprise Suite.

7. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I've experience with F-Secure and Norman in corporate situations, they both work really nice. I've heard Trend-Micro also preforms great in corporate enviroments.

8. shoe

shoe Registered Member

I second that on Mcafee 8.0i

9. TAP

TAP Registered Member

For corporate enviroments, from my experience, CA eTrust Solutions and Trend Micro are very good, easy and practical to deployment/management. eTrust Antivirus is also relatively light on resources so you can install it on many different spec from older to new machines.

10. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I've been a SMB consultant for many years, installing/supporting many business networks. Historically I usually installed Symantec Corporate Edition, also some McAfee, Computer Associates, Trend Micro, and dabbled with AVG and Esets NOD32 a while ago when I was shopping around more after beginning to dislike Symantec with their latest verions. I had been installing Symantec since around version 5, began to dislike them around 9 due to pricing/renewals/licensing, and a "heavy" load. When 10 came out...ugh....no more. Was never fond of McAfee or CA...had seen infestations make it past them.

Fell in love with NOD32 Enterprise Edition, been switching clients over to it as their existing licensed products runs out...and wow..just "wow"...great product. The management console is very powerful. Not as intuitive as Symantecs MMC..I'll admit. But once you become familiar with it, once you learn it...it's very flexible and powerful.

Also neat to see...each time I replace their prior AV product while deploying NOD32, it'll start picking up stuff the prior antivirus never flagged. Just happened again at an oil company this week, I was replacing/upgrading drives on their RAID array, at the same time, taking advantage of that down time on the server (reboots) to replace their Sym Corp Edition with NOD32 EE. Within minutes it had found files on some users shares, and a few workstations reported in of some bad guys found.

11. cdr478s

Thank-you for all the responses!
    Well, I guess the most important feature would be protection. This is a corporate environment and if whatever A-V I choose doesn't catch or clean it properly, its my fault for selecting that A-V. So if any A-V mentioned in this thread has problems with this, I would like to know about it.

Secondly, we really would like to have something that will update without the user being logged in as administrator, or that will always update without users doing it themselves. Norton sometimes will not auto-update w/o user interaction and its extremely annoying.

I would like a central management because I am tired (literally) of running around to 45+ computers to make sure they are all updated!

Thanks for all your responses. I'll re-look at MacAfee, I hadn't bothered looking at them before because I didn't like the Personal version. Let me know of any other ideas. I would like to have as much info as possible before I decide on something next week.

12. houseisland

houseisland Registered Member

I have used Symantec Corporate Edition for over five years, together with Mail Security for Exchange. I have never had a serious problem with it, except for the optional and useless Spam control feature in Mail Security (note: this is not Bright Mail). Symantec's technical support for their corporate customers is generally very good in my experience. I can make no claim that they are the best, only that their product generally works well.

I know tech people in other organizations who are very happy with TrendMicro's corporate package.

A good mail security package (Spam and attachment filtering) is CMS Praetor. Their G2 build is still a little buggy but not seriously so. CMS provides exemplary technical support. My experience with Bright Mail is so ancient that any comment I could make about it would be totally irrelevant now.

Shop around carefully. You will be estabishing a relationship with a solution provider that may last for many years once you get on the re-subscription/upgrade track, not just buying software.

In making a decision, you might try calling a tech support number for a pre-sales tech support -- gives a feel for what the company is like.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

McAfee and F-Secure are very good for corporate environments. Though it depends how big "corporate" you mean. 10 machines or lets say 500.

14. cdr478s

Only 44 desktops. We already have all our servers covered with anti-virus/anti-spam etc.

15. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Are you running a Small Business Server network? I prefer having servers and workstations protected by the same suite, centrally manage it all. Part of "centrally managed" also means one machine, the AV server, downloads the updates several times a day (or week..depending on which brand you get), and distributes it to all the other nodes on the network. That way your internet pipe only gets one hit.

16. gigaman

gigaman Guest

When speaking about alternative solutions, you may also mention avast! / ADNM...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.