Corbitek Antimalware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dreamlost88, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

man it didnt detect none:D

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The install file is clean according to VT.
    One observation I made when installing and running it is that the scanner didn't scan many files.
    I wasn't impressed enough to switch to Corbitek.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if prevx didnt jump:D in this is legit driver

4. dreamlost88

dreamlost88 Registered Member

I will answer all your questions, one at a time:

"Corbitek Antimalware" is currently at version 1.1 and is a final release and NOT a beta product.

Yes, I'm from Romania, the same country that gave the world BitDefender. I'm a student, in second year, in informatics. This is more a research project than a profit oriented product. Yes, it costs to maintain it, both time and money, and I plan for the future to introduce a donation system, and later on, payd technical support so that I can cover the costs.
    I also work part-time, so I don't have as much time as Malwarebytes, Symantec, Mcafee, Bitdefender, AVG, Avira or other security vendor to support and maintain my product. You may compare "Corbitek Antimalware" with other, well established security solutions, if that suits you, but don't expect miracles, not for now. It's just been released. Can you remember AVX(now known as bitdefender), RAV, or NodICE? They weren't so good either when their first version got released.
    I know the database isn't the best, but I'm working on it.

EVERYTHING in Corbitek Antimalware is written from SCRATCH
    It took over 5 years of reasearch and planning to get to Corbitek Antimalware, and it's just the beginning...

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Thanks Franklin thought it was just my vm for a minute.

So what does it detect at the moment?

not this ~~{Snipped Eicar test string - Blue}~~ either.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2009
  6. dreamlost88

There were some problems yesterday, but they got fixed.

Uninstall your current version, download Corbitek Antimalware from the website, install it, scan again and see if it works now. If it does not, please let me know, and I will look into it.

Thank you,
    Bogdan

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Why not add some non-signature based featues, like a behav blocker, a sandbox or a HIPS to compensate for the deficeint data base and to attract users.

8. dreamlost88

I plan on adding the behavior blocker until the 1.5 version is released. The sandbox and the HIPS are a little more difficult to develop, but they will be added :)

Thank you for your feedback,
    Bogdan

9. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Eicar detected but zero detection on a zoo of over 50 top and current threats.

Good luck in your project.

Attached Files:

10. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

At least we're safe from the dreaded eicar. :D

But seriously, maybe you should've tested this a little more. It's borderline immoral to pass this off as a security solution and potentially put people at risk who might use it as a primary defence against malware.

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Since we've had a number of new offerings in various categories appear on the Internet over the past few weeks, it's probably prudent to remind everyone that jumping on the bandwagon and installing these applications on your primary machine/partition always comes with risk.

Even for the most carefully vetted situation, unanticipated conflicts can emerge and the consequences can be severe. That's true for any new piece of software. In addition, the producer may not be a known presence on the Internet, at least to a global audience, and establishing a level of trust takes time.

I follow a simple rule myself - if I am testing an application, I need to be in a position where starting a file system rebuild with a bare metal drive is not a major deal. A user not in a position to do that really shouldn't be engaged in casual testing of new software which is still undergoing wide spread development, testing, or final vetting in the field. IMHO. People have enough issues with established products, nevermind the case of an application still in the process of final adjustment.

Blue

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

May I kindly suggest you spend your time and money on something else ?

You're a second year informatics student. And you've spent over 5 years developing this product. And yet, your product is rather ineffective in detecting malware, see previous posts. Not a very good first start.

The large antimalware vendors have established ways to share detected malware. Obviously, you're not part of that group. How could you possibly, as a one man company (?), with very little money, gather the signatures of in-the-wild malware ? I can't see a way for you to compete with the large AVs (AV=antimalware these days) as mentioned in the reports of av-comparatives.
    There are many other free AVs, like Pctools', CIS etc.

Many years ago it was easier to create antimalware software, but both the complexity and volume of malware has increased dramatically.

13. dreamlost88

Do you really think that after 5 years of researching I will quite now? :rolleyes:

14. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

One doesn't need a very long memory to remember that a one-man developer has been successful with anti-malware programs before.
    If it's your passion to develop this program, I wish you the best of luck.
    I may try it again in the future.

15. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Any developer that's willing to come into the Wilders den of ravenous wolves and asks for an appraisal of their wares has passed a major test for me.:thumb:

Hope things work out well for you!

16. alhuger

alhuger Registered Member

Everyone starts somewhere. Symantec, Mcafee, ISS and many others got their starts with a single guy, taking a risk. ISS in particular is a analogous given it's founder also started it while in school. I say good luck to him, I will install it and run it on a system or two. The AV industry *needs* fresh thinking. The old boys club is stale. IMHO.

al

Immunet Corp.

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Norton and McAfee started ages ago.

I just can't see how you would get the signatures and advanced heuristics for the volume and variety of malware in the wild.

18. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Fly with a little research, you will see there are ways ;)

May I just say, well done on creating this application. I can see that it has the potential to go very far!

Just a suggestion; teaming up is one of the best things you can do for a product ;)

19. dreamlost88

Thank you!

20. dreamlost88

Thank you!

21. dreamlost88

Thank you!

22. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Maybe A.A. Fussy will buy you out. Babya Antimalware! :D

23. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Hi Bogdan,

Good luck with your project. It takes time and time to succeed.

Dont just stick with technical skills, develop business skills and get other people involved in this project.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

also it will be a good idea to add hips protection to be more atractive for us(users):thumb:

25. simisg

simisg Registered Member

detecting nothing im my tests to..... i'm sorry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.