Copying Backups to USB External HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by max0071, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

My laptop won't give me a validated backup image when I backup to my external usb (works on my pc). Always corrupt. However if I back up my c: to my c: on my laptop I get a validated image. So, if I now have a good image on my laptop, can I then transfer it (cut and paste) to my external hd, and if I need it will it then reinstall from my external HD? I guess a good way to test it is validate the pasted image on my external Hd.

I have come to the conclusion that my laptop USB does not talk well to my external HD and always gives me corrupt validations. However when imaging on my laptop I get validated images. So I was thinking this may be a work around. Once I get my laptop up and running I'm gonna try this.

I have two external HD usb that work perfectly with my pc, but don't with my laptop.

Any comments are appreciated.......thanks

2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

From reading the above, and the comments you've made in various related threads, it seems that the problem is likely to be caused by the chipset associated with the laptop USB ports.
    It might be worthwhile getting a PC card with USB ports (make sure you get one with NEC chipset) as I expect it should work.
    You should try the cut and paste of a .tib file (or other large file) to the external drive using the existing laptop USB connector. Use a checksum utility to compare the file on your laptop C: drive to the copied file. You may find they are different, particularly if you copy a very large file. Also try this on your PC to confirm that there is no checksum discrepancy using the PC.
    Incidentally, did you see my comment in one of the other threads about a BIOS issue with some Toshiba Satellites?

3. max0071

Yes I think you are right I have found a couple PC cards with USB ports, and I made sure they were NEC chipsets........gonna order one. I hope that solves the problem. Additionally, I did see your comment about BIOS and Toshiba, it did not apply to my machine. But thanks so much for you help and advice.

BTW why NECo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  4. tachyon42

It's just that it's a well known reputable brand, recommended by many people and I've never heard of any problems with USB external enclosures which use the NEC chipset.

5. max0071

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  6. tachyon42

Don't know about the chipset in the iogear product but the weblink for the syba product says it's an ALI chipset (don't know if good or bad).

Note that both have DC plug to allow for extra external power.
    However, they don't seem to have any power cable.
    Some disks, particularly faster 7200rpm disks, need more power than can be provided through the PC card. Some PC cards come with a cable which can be plugged into the laptop USB port, thus getting the extra power without having to have external power from a fixed power point. Useful if you are on the road and want to use the external drive.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello max0071,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Could you please describe the issue in more details? Did you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or did you use Acronis True Image in Windows to create and validate the backup archive?

Please also do the following:

- Create a new image archive when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (build 3677) is running from under Windows and then validate this image when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Let us know the results;

- Create a new image archive when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and then validate this image both when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (build 3677) is running from under Windows and when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Let us know the results;

You can also try to connect the drive to another USB-port. Please perform tests suggested by Menorcaman and inform us about the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.