Copying an Archive and Adding to Database - Backup & Recovery version 10 Free

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by acro, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acro

acro Registered Member

I'm using Paragon Backup & Recovery version 10.1.19.16240 (22.11.12 ) Free.
    Windows 7 32 bit. I am not using the Backup Capsule facility.

It doesn't seem desirable to rely on one backup of my C drive and am attempting to copy the Archive I have created, which includes 6 incremental backups, to a different partition to that which contains the original Archive.

A simple copy is easy to achieve. The problem I have is trying to add it to the database.
    An attempt to do so only appears to list some of the files, others seem not to have been added.
    Those that are there appear distinctly lighter ie grey, and appear and disappear as the "Show only existing Archives" is selected and de-selected.

Since it's only a copy I tried deleting them, notwithstanding the warning that they can't be subsequently added again and that certainly appears to be the case.

The original Archive appears intact on the list ie database.

Any advice on how to copy an existing Archive to an alternative partition and adding it to the database would be appreciated.

Edit:
    I created a Bootable CD and although I haven't attempted a restoration, is it perhaps the case that on booting from that CD I should be able to select whichever Archive I choose, wherever it is located, hopefully from an external drive, without needing to have added that Archive 'copy' to the database.

One limitation could be that since it would be a simple copy I would not be able to verify/validate the accuracy/integrity since it is not listed in the database.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. acro

acro Registered Member

I'm now using an alternative product which allows copies of backups to be verified and it works well.

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes. From a boot medium you can manually select any image and restore or verify it.

It´s not a good idea to copy an image. It´s better to create a new one on another disk.

4. acro

acro Registered Member

Fairly obvious in retrospect but something I hadn't given any thought to.

I'll follow your advice in future.

Thank you.

5. Paragon_Chris

Paragon_Chris Paragon Moderator

If you are using the free version I would always recommend to upgrade to the latest and greatest, you can do so by visiting https://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/index.html

Removing and adding archives can easily be achieved in both the advanced mode and express mode. I've included a screen shot, after clicking the add archive button you would simply find the .pfi file of the archive you would like to add, highlight it and click add.

PF2192650_1.png

Our software also allows this function.

If you'd like more help or clarification please let me know.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Be very careful verifying a copied archive with Paragon if the archive is split and contains more than one file such as you would get with a 12GB archive with a 4GB split-size.

Paragon will validate the first piece at the copy's location but then jump to the original location and verify the remaining pieces there. If you aren't paying attention you will think you verified the copy.

The way around this is to not split the archive or to rename/delete the archive in the original location.

7. Paragon_Chris

I will test this, but if that is occurring it should be resolved by removing the archive from the archive list within B&R and then adding the .pfi from the new location into the archive list.

8. seekforever

I don't think it will work.

The problem is that embedded into the end of each slice of the archive is the path to the next slice. So it honors the first piece OK but then reads the path at the end of the file to locate the next file slice. This causes the verify to jump back to the original archive and not the copy. I only noticed this because the external drive with the copy stopped flashing and my internal HD light was flashing.

If the archive is not at the location given in the embedded path such as if you verify it on a different PC then it works OK since not finding it causes the program to look in the location given when the verify command was started. If you only have one slice then there is no path to a second one so it works.

See Support Ticket ID: 3420413 for more info.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  9. Paragon_Chris

Thank you, you are correct!

I was not aware that the absolute path was written into the chain versus the root path. Renaming the original archives root folder would prevent this.

10. Fiery_WA

Fiery_WA Registered Member

Sorry to butt in, but I just copied the entire archive over from my USB external hd to an internal drive.

Because for love nor money can I create a bootable WinPE disk, which would hopefully allow it to read my USB External HD.

11. seekforever

What's the question apart from your inability to create the WinPE CD/USB key that you have posted in another thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.