Copy/update error with icons this time.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Ok you won't believe this but those two programs I installed yodm'3d and visual tools icons didn't copy correctly over to another snapshot when I copy/updated them. The icons had a generic icon face to them. However when I clicked on them the icons magically appeared as they should be. Strange. I don't like that. I haven't messed with my computer settings or registry or services folder. Just installed those two proggys and played with them and decided to do an update copy of the snapshot over to another snapshot that didn't have the two programs and the icons came up wrong when I booted over to the newly updated snap. Grrrrr. I'll make another snapshot fresh from this and see if it happens again. And yes my security apps were all turned off so it can't or shouldn't be them.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Horus, I took up a very similar point with Raxco and they said it was a windows caching issue.

3. Horus37

I wonder how it could be a cache issue? The only thing I can think of is I have "do not cache thumbnails" unchecked in my "folder options" in the "appearance and themes" settings for the whole windows settings under "control panel." I've never encountered a copy/update error before unless it was related to how I set up my security applications. I'm wondering if it's something in those programs I downloaded that is doing it? I have never had my icons not copy over correctly before this so. I suppose I could start to not chache thumbnails and see if that changes things on a copy/update?

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  4. Horus37

Is there anything we can do about it? Can we adjust something on our end or is it just a microsoft problem inherent in the xp code? I find it odd that it happened right after I downloaded the programs a couple days ago. I think I'll roll back to an earlier version of my software and see. Strange.
    so what did they-raxco recommend you do about it? So far that makes 3 people I know with the lastest build 3.2 202 having issues with VSS and copying shortcut icons correctly during copy/udate to a different snapshot. Didn't happen before on previous builds. I read that you are trying out various copy/update engines. Has that solved your problem? Have you switched to using RSS instead?

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

My desktop icon in question was a shortcut to process explorer.
    I haven't switched to rss as the builds I am trying out are to try and correct an issue where on one particular file the call to set the shortname is giving "access denied" error. and they are not sure why.

This is why my copy/update is showing errors and I am not using the function at present.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Stapp

What and where is the file?

Pete

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Actually Peter I said one file, this was just to illustrate the problem, Sometimes there are over 30.

They can range from files in docs and settings such as to do with power producer gold, macromedia flash and app/data microsoft protect, to quick launch for Internet Explorer.
    Of course I don't have a clue, why they are there and what causes them.
    At the start of the log where it will say priviledges are enabled etc, it says there that shortnames are enabled.

I sent off the other day a debug copy engine so hopefully things may move on.

I find it difficult without FDISR, I don't know I managed before I had it!

8. Horus37

I've never seen the priviledges part of my log files that says that short names are enabled. I looked through my logs in the beginning and end and don't see it. Do you have to enable that manually or what? Wondering if I need to do that. I've never had to tweak FDISR in the least to get it ot work right. The only other problem I had was the MBR issue but that is solved now. Hoping there is an easy fix to this. My icons work and my computer runs fine and no errors are logged in the log files. It's just that the icons are generic and then when you click on them they change back to the right shortcut icons. Just strange behavior is all. Nothing is broken. I don't see any data corruption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.