Copy to new hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by larrybody, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larrybody

larrybody Registered Member

A friend ran his Windows XP SP2 computer with a 20GB hard drive till it had only 1% of space left, and then called me for help. I have purchased a new 160G EIDE drive for him and want to copy the original hard drive to the new larger drive. I tried to do some disk maintaince on the old drive such as disk cleanup, disk defragmenter, and error checking. Unfourtunantly the disk drfragmenter wont work because it needs 15% free space. I obtained a copy of Acronis True Image Home 10 and attempted to do a automatic clone. It failed. Do you think this is because of the extremely fragmented condition of the source drive. I would like to free up the space to do the drfragmention, but I don't feel comfortable deleting someone elses files and programs. Would this fragmention stop the disk cloneing procedure?

2. dld

dld Registered Member

You can read this thread re cloning with a trial version of Acronis. I think you would agree that were Acronis to make the trial version fully functional then there would be little incentive to buy the program.

OTOH Acronis is offering True Image Version 7 for free. You can find the User Guide here.

The destination drive for cloning should be installed as slave. Once the cloning is finished let the computer power down and pull the plug before it reboots in order not to confuse Windows as to which drive is the C: drive. Remove the source drive and install the destination drive as Master before rebooting. I would first create a bootable Rescue Disk which runs in a Linux environment. I would use this disk to do the cloning.

3. larrybody

larrybody Registered Member

Thanks for the information. I had ask my friend to do three disk management task and I emailed him the instructions. He assured me that everything had been done except for the defragmention because of the 1% free space problem. I kept getting disk errors. I ran the Windows error checker and found lots of bad and orphaned clusters. I tried Acronis True Image 10 again and it worked great. After switiching drives, running defragmenter and removing a ton of spywear the system is running great. This is a good program. I have just ordered a retail version to keep in my ever growing collection of utilities. Cant wait to try it out on backing up my personal computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.