Copy *.tif from Secure Zone to another drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Lurch, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lurch

Lurch Registered Member

I recently installed XP sp2. I made a full image to the secure zone prior to upgrade, just in case. Everything seems to working out well, but....

Is there any way to copy the pre-sp2 image to another drive. Although it seems my computer likes sp2, I would like to ahng on to the pre-sp2 image for awhile.

I would like to use the secure zone to create post-sp2 images, but have been unable to see if I can move the exisiting image to another drive for safekeeping while keeping newer images in the secure zone.

Should I simply create new, total, images in the secure zone? Will a new complete image replace the existing image?

If so, how can I copy/move the old image somewhere else so I can keep it for emergencies?

My first attempt at upgrading to sp2 had a problem. Acronis graciously restored my disk. Thanks.

2. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

The only way to "move" an image out of the SZ is to restore it and then reimage it with a new destination. You can do the restore to a different partition (if you have one available).

The SZ works on a FIFO basis and you can not control any of the images contained therein. So, as an example, if you have room for 10 images and you create the 11th, the oldest will retire to the bit-bucket.

File names in the SZ are automated whether or not it is a Full image or an Incremental. What you see for the file name is actually the date/time stamp of the creation. You do not have to worry about 1 image overlaying (replacing) a previous one. Will not happen. *puppy*

3. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Actually, Mike, this is a common myth that we all just accept. But, if we ever stopped to think about it, what would we guess that the "Secure Zone" really is? Yes, you're right --- it's simply a linux readable partition. You can test this by booting with Knoppix. Hey, there are all the hidden images! You have to do a bit of association by date to figure out what's in there. Then you can even copy them out. However, for 90% of the people on this board - you are right --forget it. The files might as well be on the moon. Oh - enjoyed reading about your backup strategy - nice job!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  4. Lurch

Lurch Registered Member

Thanks for the info... I have decided I am one of the 90% referenced. I will just leave it alone and continue to image on my second drive for awhile. thanks all....

5. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

beenthereb4,

You are the man! That d___ SZ has intrigued me on several occasions and I was going to go after it (but finally trashed it and you know why). There was just "something there" that caught my eye and I was going to "crack" it but each time the thought struck I was working on some issues with TI7 so would always get derailed and of course never got back to it! Ya know, "I wish I would have thought of that!"

Thank you for the kind words on my b/u strategy post. I appreciate it.

And btb4, you are right about the MOON!

See ya 'round... Mike *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.