Copy/paste logs causes 100%CPU usage and freezing of NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Mele20, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Nod32kui.exe uses 100% of CPU when I right click/copy on NOD32 scanner log in order to copy/paste. It freezes the NOD GUI so I can't close. I can't use the computer either because NOD is using 100% of the CPU.. The only way out is to use c/a/d to end the service. But before I can do that sometimes NOD32 disappears from the systray even though I have not terminated the service. Other times, I have to terminate the service.

This copy/paste function was working fine about a week ago. I have no idea what has happened to cause it to now freeze the GUI and monopolize the CPU.

This is occuring on my XP Pro box. (Of course, I cannot use copy/paste NOD32 logs on the W98SE box due to the bug that is being fixed in the upcoming beta). Now I am unable to copy/paste these logs on both machines.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Same problem here. XP Home sp1.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Ronjor, are you also finding that if you just open the logs and look at them and don't try to copy/paste...just look... that a couple of minutes later, NOD32 Control Center (Nod32kui.exe) silently crashes? That is happening to me today.

XP Pro SP1a

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Mele20

I just tried the copy and paste. Shuts me down. Nasty bug.:(

I'll try the other later.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited: May 27, 2004
  5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

We have never and I mean never had this happen with XP, what other programs do you have on your system?

I'm going to follow this thread and see what the outcome is... As a reseller I like to know what problems are out there, what caused those problems and what the solution is...

Cheers :D

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Blackspear

Have you tried to copy and paste from the scan log? :eek:

Last edited: May 27, 2004
  7. Blackspear

Just tried, and it works perfectly :D

Scan performed at: 28/05/2004 10:39:58 AM
    Scanning Log
    NOD32 version 1.776 (20040527) NT
    Command line: c:\ /clean /mapi- /arch+ /pack+ /ah
    Operating memory - is OK

date: 28.5.2004 time: 10:40:07
    Scanned disks, directories and files: c:\
    c:\pagefile.sys - error opening (file locked) [4]
    c:\Data\Downloads\Cable Modem Advanced Diagnostics\cablemodemadvanced_diagnostics.zip »ZIP »Advanced Diagnostics/jre/lib/ext/iiimp.jar »ZIP »META-INF/ - archive damaged
    c:\Data - RETAIL - BACKUP\WebCounter.jar-45a7b6d6-2b36ebef.zip »ZIP »Dummy.class - Java/ClassLoader.E trojan
    c:\Data - RETAIL - BACKUP\WebCounter.jar-45a7b6d6-2b36ebef.zip »ZIP »VerifierBug.class - Java/Exploit.Bytverify trojan
    c:\Data - RETAIL - BACKUP\WebCounter.jar-45a7b6d6-2b36ebef.zip »ZIP »WebCounter.class - Java/ClassLoader.C trojan
    c:\Data - RETAIL - BACKUP\WebCounter.jar-45a7b6d6-2b36ebef.zip »ZIP »a.class - Java/Shinwow.A trojan
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\AlexaRelated.zip »ZIP »related.htm - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\AlexaRelated.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.ini - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\DSOExploit.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.reg - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\DSOExploit.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.ini - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\DSOExploit1.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.reg - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\DSOExploit1.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.ini - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\DSOExploit2.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.reg - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\DSOExploit2.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.ini - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\DSOExploit3.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.reg - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\DSOExploit3.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.ini - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\DSOExploit4.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.reg - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\DSOExploit4.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.ini - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\WindowsMediaPlayer.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.reg - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\WindowsMediaPlayer.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.ini - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\WindowsMediaPlayer1.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.reg - error - the file is password-protected
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\WindowsMediaPlayer1.zip »ZIP »sbRecovery.ini - error - the file is password-protected
    number of files scanned: 78692
    number of viruses found: 4
    number of viruses active: 1
    time of completion: 11:03:11 total scanning time: 1384 sec (00:23:04)

Notes:
    [4] File cannot be open. It is being exclusively used by another application or operating system.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Blackspear

I would like to see some others try copy and paste from the log and the results they get.

I'll watch this thread also.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That is sure interesting Blackspear.
    Ronjor, since you have this problem also, I would suggest you don't try any further because I think
    it will corrupt NOD32 Control Center ...especially if you try it several times in an attempt to replicate the problem like I did last night.

The control center is not functioning properly today and it has crashed now without my even looking at the logs. I think this nasty bug may have somehow corrupted the entire nod32kui.exe or made it unstable so that it is prone to crashing silently.

I have sent an email to support. I don't want to reinstall as I want to copy the information in the logs first!

Where this bug came from is a mystery though because just a week or less ago, the copy/paste function was working but then....ahhhh...I was copying the event log at that time! I don't think I have had reason before last night, on this 5 month old XP box, to copy the NOD32 on demand scanner logs. I suppose the bug is related only to the scanner logs or what? ?

10. Blackspear

I do find a total system slow down AFTER a command line scan and having clicked on quit, CPU usage climbs to 100% and it takes a while for the freeze to go away (about 10 seconds). Though like I posted, no problems with copy and paste from scan logs or any other logs...

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Mele20

I believe I will hold off. I need to correct calling this a bug.

It could be a conlict. :rolleyes:

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't see how this can be due to a conflict with another application. Exactly one week ago, I used the copy/paste function with the event log on this XP box and it worked fine. Easy as pie. I can't copy/paste from logs on W98SE but that is a known bug that Eset says has been fixed in the upcoming beta and that problem on W98SE doesn't cause freezing of the Control Center or abnormal usage of the CPU either.

I haven't installed any new applications in this past week. I haven't upgraded any current applications either except for HDD Thermometer which has a bug causing it to not display properly in the systray. I don't see how it could affect NOD32, but I exited it anyway.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Whatever it is, it's a doozy.

14. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

The crashing/freezing up thing also happens to me.

I do the following (from the NOD32 Control Center):

- I go to Logs
    - Select NOD32 Scanner Logs
    - Select one of the "scanning events" on the window on the right(titled "NOD32 Scanner Logs")
    - Right-click the scanning event and select Details
    - From the new window that appears, I select a line and right-click and choose Copy selected or Copy all (doesn't matter which)
    - The application freezes

PS! If I select Exporting to file instead of copying, it does what it's supposed to do without freezing up.

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This is a known bug and has already been fixed in the beta (planned to be given out soon). Should the problem persist even with the beta installed, the culprit must be a bug in the oper. system itself.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Marcos

Thanks for the answer. I didn't know it was a known bug. Where would we get such info? Here?

Looking foward to the beta.

:)

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well Eset support sent me a beta version and I still have the problem. :( But I no longer have the problem of NOD32 Control Center disappearing randomly from the systray like it was doing 24 hours ago. Plus, I can now look at the event log, virus log and scanner log without the Control Center becoming unstable or freezing like it was doing yesterday. I can also copy/paste from the event log and the virus log with no problems and no instability in the Control Center, etc. I could not do that yesterday.

kjempen, like you, I discovered late last night that if I use "export" nothing freezes and CPU usage remains normal.

I hope this is fixed in the beta version that will be given out publicly. I hope it is not a bug in XP. There is always the "work around" of using export though as that works...just not quite as convenient as copy/paste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.