Copy IDE to SCSI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tyip, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyip

tyip Registered Member

I am trying to copy an IDE hd to a SCSI hd with True Image 8 (build 796). The source IDE drive has Windows XP SP2. I made an image of the IDE drive and restored it to the SCSI drive. The restore operation to the SCSI hd is successful. However, when the SCSI disk is booted, Windows hangs at a blue startup screen. There is no login window or a way to reboot or shutdown. I've tried using fixmbr and fixboot from the Recovery Console on the SCSI disk with the same results. I've also used Retrospect backup software to copy file-by-file all files from the IDE drive to the SCSI. I got the same hang again.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? How do I clone an IDE disk to SCSI that has Windows XP SP2?

Thanks in advance.

2. gen0cide

gen0cide Guest

You have changed the house Windows lived in! It will be trying to load IDE drivers for your now displaced install on a SCSI disk. If you are lucky, the install of Windows that lived on the IDE drive may successfully discover the drive is different and load the appropriate drivers for your SCSI disk. That is if it has the drivers for your SCSI controller.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tyip,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Please note that if you transfer your system to another hardware you need to prepare your system as described at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html

Since the changes are very important (it is not changing your video card or something like keyboard) you may need special drivers for your SCSI disk and in that case Windows may not boot even if you perform the system preparation. Actually, Acronis True Image will transfer all the files to a new drive but it cannot add anything (like necessary driver for example).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. tyip

tyip Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I already took into account possibly needing SCSI drivers or configuration. When the OS was running on the IDE drive, I also had the SCSI installed. That is, I was able to access the SCSI when running the OS off the IDE, so the OS was configured to recognize the SCSI.

I took a look at the FAQ and am considering using sysprep to prepare the IDE drive before creating an image of it. I have a couple of questions about this process:

1. Will running sysprep on my source IDE drive corrupt it? That is, will I be able to continue using the OS on it as before?

2. What switches for sysprep should I use? I am considering "pnp" or "mini", but I am not sure what either of them do specifically. Do I use both switches at the same time?

3. Most importantly, will this work for my situation or am I wasting my time with sysprep?

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.