copied boot partitions to new drive but won't boot

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by kenambrose, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenambrose

kenambrose Registered Member

I used disk director V9 running under Win2K to copy both partitions of my drive 0 (current boot drive) to a new drive then changed the drive letters of the new partitions to C and D. All completes successfully.

But when I unplug the old drive and plug the new drive into the same cable and try to boot, the system does not find the OS selector files, tries to boot directly into Win2k, but then goes to BSOD.

do I need to copy boot sectors also to a new drive? or is there some process I need to do to use disk director to clone a boot drive to a new drive?

Thanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Kenambrose,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Managing Software

To be out of problem please try the following actions:
    Boot the computer from a Windows 2000 Installation CD, start Recovery Console and run fixmbr command.

In fact it would be good idea to use "Clone Disk" feature of Acronis True Image family software.

Thank you
    --
    Alexander Gladkov

3. kenambrose

kenambrose Registered Member

Thanks Alexander! I will try your suggestion to fix the mbr, and I probably will end up purchasing disk clone also. Acronis products have been very helpful to me!

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Kenambrose,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Management Software

Please note that you should re-activate Acronis OS selector after fixing MBR.

You are always welcome to ask any further questions relatively Acronis products.

Thank you
    --
    Alexander Gladkov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.