Copernic Desktop Search

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dog, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, ;)

Is anyone using or has used Copernic Desktop Search?

Could you please give me your opinions/thoughts on it's usefulness/functionality etc. I'm gonna give it a whirl tomorrow - I'm just looking for some opinions in advance.

TIA ;)

Steve

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

3. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I use locate32 as well. Copernic is known for their summarizer app.(at least that is how I know of them) From that reputation their desktop search should do well.

4. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Guys ... I do use locate already, which is a very nice little app and very quick at searching and updating the index. But Copernic has the add functionality of the preview etc.

OT question - The one thing I don't like about locate is it keeps the history in the search (drop down) boxes. Is there an easy way to erase the history?

Steve

5. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I've been using it for a while and am a big fan for documents - very quick and a nice interface

It can index email as well - that caused me problems in the inbox - I guess an outlook sync problem.

6. dog

dog Guest

Well, after playing with Copernic for a while ... I don't really like it. It has a nice interface and some nice features, like the built in viewers, and the ability to purge the search history. But it has a problem with finding some files, which is frustrating and annoying. It also won't index extensionless files at all. Maybe the next version will be better, but until then I'll stick with locate, which is extremely fast (much faster at both finding files, and updating the index than Copernic), and it does index all files. Locate's only deficiencies is its inability to clear it's history. Copernic's best feature are built in viewers which are nice touch and very handy. So if anyone needs those features Copernic is a good program.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Steve :) to delete the history navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Update\Locate32\Recent Strings
    then in the right pane there are name0 name1 name2 etc. double-click the one you want to delete and delete the "value data"

8. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Ice :D

I had looked in the registry quickly before, but I just briefly browsed the tree ... If I would've done a search ... I would've found it (stupid me ;))

Great! Now I've set RD to block Locate32 from setting any value in Recent Strings :cool: So the history is history :D

Thanks Buddy :cool: ... Now Locate is perrrrrfect for me :D

Steve

Ps. I nuked the type(s) values to erase the extension searches too

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

good, i'm glad you got it working the way you want it :)

10. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Guest

The easiest way to clear the keyword history permanently is to click the Options button, select the General tab and uncheck the option Remember earch terms. :)

11. dog

dog Guest

While that would be nice ... that option doesn't exist in the version I'm running :doubt:

Attached Files:

12. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Mine too Steve. I took the latest Alpha DL.....but there were a couple Beta's above it on the list....

13. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Guest

14. dog

dog Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.