cool web search trying to install

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cheater87, Jul 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Steve :) the link you have given is a different scanner, all it does is scan and report. the scanner i gave scans and cleans, it's the last version to do so. the reason it was a direct download was because i thought the site wasn't in English.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. dog

dog Guest

OK ... No Problem - I wasn't aware. ;)

Here's the link you posted: Direct Download
    For anyone wanting an alternative to a Direct Download ... Go to http://www.spywareinfo.dk and follow the screen shot below.

Steve

Attached Files:

4. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Cheater............................. ,You need to get rid of CoolWeb!!! and prevent it coming back!!! Who has administrators rights on your PC??
    You havent said if you have you tried CW shredder yet. You should try what JRCATES has already told you. I agree with him entirely. You MUST run CWS to make sure you have rid of it. You can do a system restore if it messes things up, but it shouldnt. After you have removed all traces install spywareguard and spywareblaster,-- this will block downloads of Coolweb in firefox as well as Internet explorer [which i use.] It also disables malware if you already have it. They are both free and freely available. I see you already have Spybots teatimer and Immunisation feature enabled.
    I have all these running without conflict and never get CWS, mind you I dont visit dodgy sites.
    With CW shredder the only thing to be wary of is it can wrongly identify some modems as Coolweb signatures. It does this on my PC, but so long as you are aware, you wont mess things up.

5. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

As JRCATES said CWShredder is the best way to get rid of CWS from your computer. However, CWShredder is no longer updated, so the new versions of CWS will not be removed by it (CWShredder was bought by Intermute, who in turn were bought by Trend Micro <I think> )

It's likely that CWS keeps trying to reinstall because, when it installs, it installs into multiple parts of your computer. If one part of it is not removed, that part will then try to reinstall all the other parts. It is one of the most difficult trojans/spyware to remove, and the majority of Anti-spyware applicates fail to remove it properly. There are also over 250 variants of CWS that use differing installation techniques. So this is likely why you get a message that it is trying to reinstall. Here's a link to a brief guide on CWS methods http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html

Apart from a Hosts file, have you considered switching to the Mozilla Firefox browser, which is much more secure than IE. http://www.mozilla.org/

The other thing you can consider is making use of the Administrator account (and password protect it) on your PC, and give your family their own person 'limited' login account...that is, when they sign onto their login, you can put restrictions on what they can do.

If you must use IE, then SpywareBlaster and IE-SPYAD are a must; and also make use of the internet zone and trusted zone (in your internet options, security tab). Put the internet zone to high, and put a list of trusted sites in the trusted zone <eg *.microsoft.com, wilderssecurity.com etc>. Look at this site, halfway down the left hand column for browser configuration <and other security info> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/main-nf.htm

You may also want to consider what AV you use. This page offers good comparatives http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Don't know that there is any such comparative of Antispywares, but Counterspy, Microsoft Antispyware (free), and Webroot Spysweeper are generally regarded as the best.

If you don't want anything installed on your computer, or any changes made (unlikely for the home user), a program like ShadowUser or Deepfreeze can work very well - the idea being that whatever you do on your computer, each time you reboot it reverts to the state where DF/SU was installed <there are ways to disable them so you can make changes>

The other thing you could consider is something like Host Intrusion Prevention System, like PrevX. This probably isn't for the average user, but it can work.

I presume you have a firewall.

6. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

it hasn't came back in a long time i think i'm safe i tried to download CCWshredder and it wouldn't download for some reason

7. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

That's good, cheater....but CWShredder doesn't "download" in a traditional sense. That is, it doesn't create a desktop icon that you can easily access, etc. It is really meant to run one time and then kind of disappear. Unless you download it using IE and select "Save" rather than run and designate a specific folder location.....and even then, you have to unzip it to a specified location. But I did exactly that, for easier future access and use. Took me a few times to figure that out, though :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.